Pacific Wrecks
Pacific Wrecks    
  Missing In Action (MIA) Prisoners Of War (POW) Unexploded Ordnance (UXO)  
Chronology Locations Aircraft Ships Submit Info How You Can Help Donate

B-17E "My Gal Sal" Serial Number 41-9032  
USAAF

Aircraft History
Built by Boeing at Seattle. Constructors Number 2504. During March 1942 delivered to the U.S. Army Air Force (USAAF) as B-17E Flying Fortress serial number 41-9032.

Mission History
On June 27, 1942 took off on a ferry flight and force landed atop the icecap of Greenland. The crew survived unhurt and used their radio to send an S.O.S. message.

Fates of the Crew
Ten days later the crew were rescued.

Wreckage
During 1964, the wreckage was rediscovered. In August 1995, Gary Larkins salvaged large pieces of the aircraft from the crash site.

Storage
The salvaged wreckage was transported to the United States and stored at Tillamook Air Museum for five years. Purchased by Robert Ready, and transported to the Ultimate Sacrifice Memorial at Cincinnati, Ohio.

Restoration
During April 2000, restoration work began by volunteers. At the time, the Ultimate Sacrifice Memorial had a stated goal of displaying the B-17 as it force landed in Greenland.

Bob Ready stated:
"[B-17E "My Gal Sal" 41-9032 will be] display her sifting on her belly where she came to her final rest on that eventful day, June 27, 1942."

During early 2013, the National Museum of World War II approached Mr. Ready to have this B-17 displayed at the museum's US Freedom Pavilion: The Boeing Center. As of 2013, this B-17 is displayed from the ceiling of the museum. Nearby is a display case with artifacts from the bomber.

References
USAF Serial Number Search Results - B-17E 41-9032
"9032 *My Gal Sal* crash-landed in Greenland June 27, 1942 on way to England. Crew rescued, but aircraft abandoned. Recovered from icecap in August 1995 and sent to Tillamook Air Museum, Oregon for restoration. Purchased by Bob Ready of Ultimate Sacrifice Memorial, Cincinnatti, OH for ultimate display. Donated in 2012 to the WW 2 museum in New Orleans where it is suspended from the ceiling as if in flight"
Ultimate Sacrifice: My Gal Sal
The National WWII Museum - US Freedom Pavilion: The Boeing Center: Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress

Contribute Information
Are you a relative or associated with any person mentioned?
Do you have photos or additional information to add?

Last Updated
November 13, 2023

Tech Info
B-17
  Discussion Forum Daily Updates Reviews Museums Interviews & Oral Histories  

Pacific Wrecks Inc. All rights reserved.
Donate Now Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram