Pacific Wrecks
Pacific Wrecks    
  Missing In Action (MIA) Prisoners Of War (POW) Unexploded Ordnance (UXO)  
Chronology Locations Aircraft Ships Submit Info How You Can Help Donate

P-39Q-5-BE Airacobra Serial Number 42-19999  
USAAF
5th AF
71st TRG
110th TRS

Click For Enlargement
1944 via Bryan Sparks
Pilot  1st Lt. William J. Sparks, O-789955 (MIA / KIA) Elkin, NC
MIA  July 3, 1944 at 8:30am
MACR  6690

Aircraft History
Built by Bell in Buffalo, New York. Delivered to the U.S. Army Air Force (USAAF) as P-39Q-5-BE Airacobra serial number 42-19999. Disassembled and shipped overseas and reassembled.

Wartime History
Assigned to the 5th Air Force (5th AF), 71st Tactical Reconnaissance Group (71st TGG), 110th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron (110th TRS). When lost engine V-1710-83 serial number 42-27428. No known nose art or nickname.

Mission History
On July 3, 1944 took off from Tadji Airfield piloted by 1st Lt. William J. Sparks on a strafing mission over the Wewak area. This aircraft was last seen heading out to sea after making several strafing passes on Japanese positions along the north coast of Wallis Island. Last reported position was Lat 3° 15' S Long 143° 20'. This aircraft failed to return and was declared Missing In Action (MIA).

Search
Despite extensive searches of the area, no trace of this aircraft or the pilot was be found. There was a report of a life raft between But and Dagua, but it was not found during the official search.

Memorials
Sparks was officially declared dead on February 8, 1946. He is memorialized at Manila American Cemetery on the tablets of the missing.

Relatives
Bryan W. Sparks (great-nephew)
"He was sorely missed by his family. My Great Grandmother had lots of awesome WW2 pictures and personal items of his. She even had his final paycheck, she never cashed it. She thought it was a slap in face for the loss of such a fine son. He was a student at Appalachin State University when the war broke out. I know he went to flight school in 1942. On 8 FEB 1946 he was listed as FOD or Found Out Dead. I was told by someone at the VA that this means he was either listed on some sort of POW records or was identified by an eye witness in a POW camp and was killed or died in captivity. I have ordered a copy of his service record from the St. Louis records center and will update any info if I get any, keep your fingers crossed! I have attached the two pictures that I have of my uncle in service. These, a copy of Air News Yearbook 1942, his 1939 Elkin High School Diploma, are all that I have of him."

References
NARA World War II Army Enlistment Records - William J. Sparks

USAF Serial Number Search Results - P-39Q-5-BE Airacobra 42-19999
"19999 (71st FG) lost Jul 3, 1944. MACR 6690"
Missing Air Crew Report 6690 (MACR 6690)
American Battle Monuments Commission (ABMC) - William J. Sparks
FindAGrave - 1LT William J Sparks (tablets of the missing)

Contribute Information
Are you a relative or associated with any person mentioned?
Do you have photos or additional information to add?

Last Updated
September 12, 2022

Tech Info
P-39

MIA
MIA
1 Missing

Map
Lat 3° 15'
Long 143° 20'
  Discussion Forum Daily Updates Reviews Museums Interviews & Oral Histories  

Pacific Wrecks Inc. All rights reserved.
Donate Now Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram