Pacific Wrecks
Pacific Wrecks    
  Missing In Action (MIA) Prisoners Of War (POW) Unexploded Ordnance (UXO)  
Chronology Locations Aircraft Ships Submit Info How You Can Help Donate
    Rockhampton Airfield (Connor Park) Queensland Australia
Click For Enlargement
Carl R. Thien 1943

Rockhampton Airfield is located at Connor Park near Rockhampton in Queensland in Australia. On the north and northwest side of the runway is Lion Creek. To the easf is Canoona Road and to the south is Nine Mile Road. Also known as Connor Park.

In 1929, the lease to a former racetrack Connor Park, was acquired by a number of aspiring aviators, and they set about making it suitable for aircraft.

The Rockhampton Aero Club was formed on 9 February 1930 and announced that flying training would commence at the location. The aerodrome was officially opened as "Connor Park Aerodrome" on March 2, 1930. A few weeks later, the aerodrome was again officially opened as "Rockhampton Aerodrome" and the first passenger aircraft, a Fokker monoplane "Star of Cairns" landed safely.

Wartime History
During World War II the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) took control of the airfield. This airfield was part of the ferry route from Brisbane to Townsville for RAAF and USAAF aircraft. Facilities at the airport were substantially upgraded including a control tower and radio station. At one stage, work was commenced to allow rapid demolition of the runways if required.

During the war, the airfield had three runways. The first 149° 26' was 4,150'. A 90° runway was 4,450' and a the 44°  09' was 5,050' with a taxiway and dispersal area at the northwestern end of the airfield area.

During 1942, General MacArthur and General Eichelberger, entertainer Joe E. Brown and First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt all traveled to Rockhampton Airfield.

P-40M Kittyhawk Serial Number A29-384
On April 3, 1945 suffered a landing accident and was damaged.

B-24J "Burma" Serial Number 44-40601
Crashed April 2, 1945 afterwards scrapped and burned

Still in use today as Rockhampton Airport. During 1987 during upgrade work, the demolition tunnels built in 1942 were found and filled in. Until 1992 the wartime radio tower was in use. Airport code IATA: ROK, ICAO: YBRK.

Rockhampton Regional Council - Rockhampton Airport

Contribute Information
Do you have photos or additional information to add?

Last Updated
April 19, 2021


  Discussion Forum Daily Updates Reviews Museums Interviews & Oral Histories  
Pacific Wrecks Inc. All rights reserved.
Donate Now Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram