Chakulia Airfield was located southwest of Chakulia in the Purbi Singhbhum district of Jharkhand State in India.
Built by the British construction company Das & Mohanty Construction Company using contractor Digar Pramotha Nath Mohanty.
During late 1942, used to conduct raids against the Japanese in Burma and also as a ferry point for flights into China. On April 2, 1944 the first operational B-29, piloted
by Colonel Leonard F Harman, landed at Chakulia Airfield.
American Units Based at Chakulia
10th AF, 9th PRS (F-4)
Karachi November 30, 1942 - January 3, 1943 Pandaveswar
341st BG, 490th BS (B-25) Ondal May 20 - May 25, 1943 Ondal
341st BG, HQ
Ondal May 20 - May 25, 1943 Ondal
341st BG, 491st BS (B-25) ? - January 10, 1944 Yangkai
341st BG, 22nd BS (B-25) ? -
January 8, 1944 Yangkai
10th AF, 118th TRS (P-51 detachment)
Gushkara March 1, 1944
40th BG, HQ
USA April 2, 1944 - ?
40th BG, 25th BS (B-29)
USA April 11, 1944
58th BW, HQ ? - April 23, 1944 Kharagpur
At the end of the war, the airfield was turned over to the British colonial government. Used as a civilian airport, but today disused.
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
October 23, 2019