Hill Airfield is located inland from the western coast of Mindoro Island, north of McGuire Airfield (San Jose) and south of San Jose. Also known as Hill Field, Hill Drome or Hill Airdrome. The tower was code named "Hammer".
The unpaved single runway 5,750' x 100' was surfaced with packed earth, prone to dust during the heat and mud during rains forcing
aircraft to relocate further inland to Murtha Airfield once it was completed.
Starting in late December 1944, used by the U. S. Army Air Force (USAAF) fighters, bombers and transports to support the American liberation of the Philippines and landings on Luzon.
By late January 1945, most units moved northward to Luzon. By July 1, 1945 listed as abandoned.
American units based at Hill (Hammer)
71st TRG, 17th TRS (B-25s)
433d TCG, 66th TCS (C-47s) Biak January 18, 1945 - ?
403d TCG (C-47s) ? - February 27, 1945
65th TCS, 433d TCG (C-46 & C-47s) Biak January 25, 1945 - ?
71 TRG, 82nd TRS (F6D) January 1, 1945 Morotai via Tacloban - ? Lingayen
58th FG, 311th FS Elmore circa Dec 21, 1944
Disused since the Pacific War.
Airdromes Guide Southwest Pacific Area - 1 July 1945
Thanks to Tony Feredo for additional information
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
December 26, 2019