|Missing In Action (MIA)||Prisoners Of War (POW)||Unexploded Ordnance (UXO)|
|Chronology||Locations||Aircraft||Ships||Submit Info||How You Can Help||Donate|
Sigurd Lasa 2005
Lahug Airfield was located in the center of Cebu (Cebu City) on Cebu Island in Cebu Province in the Philippines. Also known as "Lahug Field".
Built prewar by Bureau of Aeronautics and Bureau of Public Works for use of the Philippine Army Air Corps (PAAC) as a dual civilian and military. Completed by October 1940 with a paved runway surfaced with gravel, sand and dirt oriented from northwest to southeast and was 700-800 meters long and approximately 60-70 meters wide. The facilities included a hangar, gas dump, and a two-story barracks.
PAAC units based at Lahug
On October 22, 1940 the Philippine Army Air Corps (PAAC) 6th Observation & Attack Squadron commanded by 1st Lt Oscar Sales moved from Clark Field to Lahug equipped with thirteen O-1 observation planes, a Stinson Reliant and a Stearman 17 trainer aircraft.
On April 10, 1942 occupied by the Japanese and used by both the Imperial Japanese Navy (IJN) and Japanese Army Air Force (JAAF) but was primarily used by the Army until March 1945.
Japanese units based at Lahug
1021 Kokutai (G4M, transport) Nichols and Cebu
American missions against Lahug
October 23, 1944–March 15, 1945
On March 28, 1945 Lahug Airfield was liberated by the U. S. Army Americal Division and began to encounter Japanese fighting positions and outpost lines. That same day the 182nd Infantry Regiment attacked two strongly defended hills a mile north of Cebu City on March 28, 1945 and securing one of the them. As the regiment continued its attack the following day, the Japanese detonated an ammunition dump on the second hill. Company A, already under strength, lost 50 men killed or wounded in the explosion. On March 30, 1945 the regiment resumed their attack and finally swept the second hill.
Lahug Airfield was quickly repaired and used by the U. S. Army for light aircraft. On April 2, 1945 the 159th Liaison Squadron, 3d Air Commando Group, based at Mangaldan with UC-64s and L-5s, sent a detachment to operate from Lahug (Cebu) until June 25, 1945.
Disused since the war. Postwar, the former airfield area was developed into real estate. Today the former airfield area is Asiatown IT Park (Cebu IT Park) developed by Cebu Property Ventures and Development Corporation, a subsidiary of Cebu Holdings, Inc.
Thanks to Tony Feredo, Jose Moreno and Sigurd Lasa for additional information
View in Google Earth
|Discussion Forum||Daily Updates||Reviews||Museums||Interviews & Oral Histories|