|Missing In Action (MIA)||Prisoners Of War (POW)||Unexploded Ordnance (UXO)|
|Chronology||Locations||Aircraft||Ships||Submit Info||How You Can Help||Donate|
US Army January 1945
Justin Taylan 2003
Tony Feredo 2004
Lat 16° 2' 0" N E Long 120° 15' 0" Lingayen Airfield is located at an elevation of 7' above sea level to the north of Lingayen in the 4th District of Pangasinan Province on Luzon in the Philippines. Also known as "Lingayen Aerodrome" or "Lingayen Field". Borders Lingayen Gulf to the north.
Built prewar by the U. S. Army or possibly the Philippine Army. The runway was parallel to the beach and was oriented roughly east to west. Used as a landing field by U. S. Army pilots flying familiarization flights over northern Luzon. A Philippine Army contingent (most likely the troops of the 21st Division, Philippine Army) was also stationed in the area.
On December 8, 1941 after the Japanese attacks on Clark and Iba some U. S. Army Air Force (USAAF) P-40 Warhawk pilots landed at Lingayen Airfield. During late December 1941, occupied by the Japanese Army after their landing at Lingayen Gulf. During the Japanese occupation of the Philippines part of the ferry route for Japanese aircraft flying from Japan via Formosa (Taiwan) to the Philippines and beyond.
Lingayen Airfield was used by both the Japanese Army Air Force (JAAF) and Imperial Japanese Navy (IJN) as a military airfield for bombers and transports.
Japanese units based at Lingayen
98th Sentai (Ki-67 Peggy)
On January 9, 1945 liberated by the U. S. Army on the first day of the amphibious landing at Lingayen Gulf. At Lingayen Airfield, American forces captured several wrecked aircraft including Ki-67 Peggy and G4M2 Betty 12142.
Immediately, Lingayen Airfield was repaired and improved by the U. S. Army with a runway extension built onto the beach by the 836th Engineer Aviation Battalion plus Filipino laborers using sawali (woven palm fronds) with marston matting (PSP) placed atop to form the surface of the runway and reduce sand blowing around. On January 29, 1945 a single Japanese aircraft released four bombs that hit the runway.
By late February 1945, the repairs and expansion was completed and the airfield was immediately put into use by fighter and tactical reconnaissance aircraft and was capable of handling B-25 Mitchells and even larger aircraft. Also, used as an emergency field for damaged or low fuel aircraft returning from Formosa that were unable to reach other bases.
Also known as U. S. Army Post Office 70 (APO 70). During July 1945 the control tower was code named "Goatee Tower". By July 1, 1945 the runway measured 7,000' x 100' with a 500' overrun at each end surfaced with asphalt over marston matting (PSP). The taxiways were surfaced with marston matting (PSP) with revetments to the north and south of the runway. The airfield had fuel and oil available with truck delivery and major repairs were available with accommodations for transient and emergency landed crews.
Travis Smith, 41st FS P-51 pilot remembers:
American units based at Lingayen during 1945
Tony Feredo visited in 2004:
July 1, 1945
Map Lingayen Area 1945
View in Google Earth
|Discussion Forum||Daily Updates||Reviews||Museums||Interviews & Oral Histories|