|Missing In Action (MIA)||Prisoners Of War (POW)||Unexploded Ordnance (UXO)|
|Chronology||Locations||Aircraft||Ships||Submit Info||How You Can Help||Donate|
San Marcelino Airfield was located at San Marcelino due west of Clark Field on Luzon in the Philippines. Also known as San Marcelino Field.
Built prior to the Pacific War by the U. S. Army, it was still under construction at the start of the Pacific War.
During December 1941, used by the U. S. Army Air Force for the defense of the Philippines. On December 9, 1941 San Marcelino Airfield was described as a new airfield with a single runway 4,000' long by 200' wide surfaced with sandy soil and lacked a control tower, landing lights or other facilities. During that evening, B-17 Flying Fortresses from the 7th Bombardment Group, 14th Bombardment Squadron departed Clark Field to land at San Marcelino Airfield to disperse them. While landing, Filipino soldiers on the ground mistakenly fired on the bombers.
American units based at San Marcelino (1941-1942)
27th BG, 91th BS (ground echelon) ? - December 25, 1941 Cabcaben
During January 1945, elements of the 38th Division immediately dashed inland to take the San Marcelino airstrip, but found that Filipino guerrillas under the command of Capt. Ramon Magsaysay, later president of the Republic of the Philippines, had secured the field three days earlier. Designated U. S. Army APO 73.
American units Based at San Marcelino (1945)
|Discussion Forum||Daily Updates||Reviews||Museums||Interviews & Oral Histories|