Lae Airfield is located at Lae on the north coast of New Guinea. The single runway runs east to west, with the eastern end facing Huon Gulf and the western end terminating into hills. Also known as Lae Drome or Lae Aerodrome.
During 1927, 250 native laborers led by Australian Cecil Levien built a runway at Lae. Ray Parer piloting a De Havilland DH-4 took off from Rabaul and made the first landing at Lae that same year. On April 19, 1927 Lt. Ernest 'Pard' Mustar took off from Lae in De Havilland DH-37 owned by Guinea Gold from Lae Airfield and made the first landing at Wau Airfield.
Guinea Airways and Gold Fields
During the 1930s, Lae Airfield was the staging base and important link for air service from Lae to the inland gold field airfields including Bulolo Airfield and Wau Airfield. Four Junkers
G.31 Tri-Motors operated by Guinea Airways for the Bulolo Gold Dredging Company were based at Lae. Also, several Ford Trimotors and Junkers W34. Facilities included several hangers and a large crane for loading cargo.
Amelia Earhart's final take off during her around the world flight
Prewar, Lae Airfield is most famous for its distinction as being the last airfield Amelia Earhart departed. On July 2, 1937, Model 10
Electra 1055 piloted by aviatrix Amelia Earhart and navigator Frederick Noonnan took off from Lae Airfield bound for Kamakaiwi Airfield on Howland Island as part of her around the world flight.
World War II Pacific Theatre History
By early 1942, the single runway was 1350 x 25 x 25 yards with good approaches, surfaced with crushed stone.
Occupied by the Japanese on March 8, 1942 and developed into a forward airfield. On March 10, 1942 US Navy Task Force 11 (TF-11) SBD Dauntless dive bombers sank Tenyo Maru into Huon Gulf with the bow of the shipwreck above the surface and clearly visible from the southern end of Lae Airfield.
During April 1942, the Tainan Kokutai arrived with A6M2 Zero fighters.
Description of Lae Airfield on April 5, 1942 by Saburo Sakai. The 22nd Airfield Batallion supported flight operations at the airfield.
Japanese units based at Lae
Tainan Kokutai (A6M2 Zero) Lakunai April - July 1942
Mihoro Kokutai (G3M Nell)
Genzan Kokutai (G3M Nell)
582 Kokutai (D3A Val & A6M2 Zero) Lakunai middle November 1942 - ?
1st Sentai (Ki-43 Oscar) March 1943
11th Sentai (Ki-43 Oscar) early 1943
83rd Dokuritsu Chutai / 83rd Independent Air Chutai (Ki-51A Sonia) Wewak / Madang May 13 - September 1943
During 1942 until liberated in the middle of September 1943 Lae Airfield was heavily bombed and strafed by Allied aircaft. In total, hundereds of missions were flown against Lae and Lae Airfield over this one and a half year period.
Japanese and Allied missions against Lae
February 5, 1942 - September 28, 1943
Allied occupation and Japanese wreckage
After the Australian Army liberated Lae during late September 1943, Lae Airfield was occupied by the Allies. Many derelict
Japanese aircraft wrecks were left at Lae Airfield and examined by US Army TAIU for technical intelligence.
Japanese aircraft wreckage captured at Lae
List of Japanese aircraft captured at Lae Airfield
September 27, 1942 B-25 Mitchell #320 Richard H. "Red" Davis 3rd BG, 90th BS damaged over Wewak land at Lae Airfield on one engine. Afterards, repaired and flown to Dobodura.
On October 1, 1942 a B-25 Mitchell from the 3rd BG, 90th BS landed at Lae Airfield with three pilots who looked at the wrecked Japanese aircraft.
Harships: An Airman's Sketchbook by Robert Pierce American Heritage vol. 42 no. 8 (December 1991)
"...later in the month [circa September 1943] some of us actually landed at Lae and had a look around. From the time we had arrived in New Guinea, Lae had been like Tokyo to us, a fearful place to be avoided. By the time we got there, it was a depressing and desolate scene. Wrecked planes were everywhere, lying in the ruined state that only a piece of machinery as refined and immaculate as an airplane can achieve. Over everything hung a horrible stench that had to come from newly buried bodies. I sat in a Zero and poked into the devastated interior of the officers' quarters. Everything was in a shambles; clothing, blankets, rice bowls were strewn in the unmistakable signs of a hurried departure, along with a game of Chinese checkers, a broken phonograph record ("Palais Glide"). We picked our way around, afraid to touch anything, feeling very much like scavenging ghouls."
During the remainder of the war, the Allies used Lae
Airfield for smaller aircraft,
with the larger types using Nadzab Airfield,
the main American base in the area.
Allied units based at Lae
71st TRG, 25th Liaison Squadron (L-5, F-5) Brisbane Jan 23
- Feb 16, 44 Nadzab (det Gusap)
6th Photo Recon Group, 25th Photo Recon Squadron (F5) Brisbane Feb 3-7, 1944 Nadzab
512th Photographic Wing (L-5) Jan 23, 1944
HQ 309th Bombardment Wing (B-24) activated Feb 1 - March 1, 1944 to Saidor
Lae Airfield continued to be used by civilian aircraft from TAA and Air Niugini. The largest passenger aircraft
use Lae was a Lockheed Turboprop Electra.
183 Reconnaissance Flight (2 x Porters and 4 x Bell 47 G3B1's Sioux) July 1968 - January 1971
Lae Airfield was closed during October 1987, in favor of Nadzab Airfield, which was able to accommodate larger aircraft. When the airport closed, there were three derelict DC-3's (formally C-47s with RAAF and/or USAAF service)
at Lae Airfield.
After closure, the former runway and airport facilities still remained, but was slowly built over. Today, a road crosses over the center of the former runway.
Amelia Earhart Memorial
There is a small Amelia
Earhart memorial at Lae Airfield. The plaque reads: "Amelia
Earhart Memorial unveiled by his excellency Sir Kingsford Dibela Governor-General of Papua New Guinea on 2nd July 1997 In honor of Amelia Earhart and Fred Noonnan whose historic flight departed Lae for Howland Island on 2nd July 1937 memorial donated by Air Niugini" The memorial plaque was stolen as of 2003.
C-47B Dakota 43-49376
After force landing near Nadzab, transported to Lae Airfield in late 1981 and stripped for usable parts
C-47 Dakota VH-SBI
Displayed at Lae Airfield from April 20, 1975 ultimate fate unknown
Japanese 76.2mm Anti-Aircraft Gun Type 3 (1914)
Displayed at the side of the strip. This is the only wartime relic present at the former airfield that is easily accessible.
Notes about New Guinea airfields, recorded circa May - July, 1942 by Oliver C. Doan via Jean Doan research Edward Rogers
The Battle for Wau pages 1-2
Samurai! pages 77-79 includes description of Lae Airfield on April 5, 1942
Thanks to Richard Leahy for additional information
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
February 4, 2018