|Missing In Action (MIA)||Prisoners Of War (POW)||Unexploded Ordnance (UXO)|
|Chronology||Locations||Aircraft||Ships||Submit Info||How You Can Help||Donate|
5th AF January 4, 1944
Australian Army May 1, 1944
AWM May 1945
Ray Fairfield 1966
Justin Taylan 2000
Justin Taylan 2005
Lat 5° 12' 26S Long 145° 47' 19E Located along the Meiro River, across from Madang bordering Madang Harbor. Also known as "Madang Drome" or today "Madang Airport". Offshore is Cahill's Island.
Built prior to the war. The single runway surfaced with crushed coral, 1,350 x 20 yards (3750' x 60'), requiring landings towards the sea during day, with good approaches. Sgt H. Russell or W.O. P. Englase. Facilities included radio, food & water, medical assistance from Bernett. Native speak pidgin, plenty of empty fuel drums.
World War II Pacific Theatre History
In August 1941, three New Guinea Volunteer Rifle (NGVR) volunteers Sgt R. E. Emery, Peter Monfries and Dick Vernon traveled from Lae aboard the Montoro with ten native constables and equipment to guard Madang Airfield. Their aerial defenses included a single Lewis 7.7mm machine gun that was emplaced in a gun pit with guard posts on either end of the runway with obstacles that could be removed and a camp area.
On January 21, 1941 the first air raid against Madang and Madang Airifeld was conducted by Imperial Japanese Navy (IJN) bombers escorted by fighters that cratering the runway.
During January 1943, occupied by the Japanese Army as a forward operating airfield for Japanese Army Air Force (JAAF) bombers and fighters based at Wewak. By August 13, 1943 the Japanese had runway was 3,250' x 240' runway with a single taxiway and revetments for 30 fighters and one bomber on the eastern end.
On March 24, 1943 Japanese bombers arrived at Wewak transporting a group of senior officers including H. E. Tsuboshima, Aide-de-Camp to the Emperor on an inspection tour of Wewak and Madang.
April 19, 1943 Lt General Hatazo Adachi, commander of the 18th Army and his staff took off from Wewak on a flight to Madang Airfield to establish his headquarters at Madang.
October 24, 1943 in the morning a Ki-49-II piloted by 1st Lt Kudo of 7th Sentai, 2nd Buntai crashed off Madang.
Japanese units based at Madang
248th Sentai (Ki-43 Oscar)
59th Sentai (Ki-43 Oscar)
68th Sentai (Ki-61 Tony)
Attacked by Allied aircraft starting in January 1943 until late April 1944 when occupied by the Australian Army. Heavily bombed and strafed by Allied bombers and fighters rendering the runway as unserviceable and leaving several aircraft wrecked at the airfield.
On April 24, 1944 occupied by Australian Army troops. At the field, a large amount of high octane fuel was captured, and used by the Australians for their boats. Also, several wrecked aircraft, drop tanks, 13mm ammunition and aerial bombs. At least two Type 88 75mm Anti-Aircraft guns were captured near the airfield.
Immediately, Royal Australian engineers using a bulldozer began repairing the runway at Madang Airfield for use by light aircraft. On April 30, 1944 two US Army Stinson L-5 Sentinel liaison planes landed at Madang Airfield L-5 42-98713 and L-5 42-38708.
Repaired by late April, Madang Airfield was used by t Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) aircraft for the remainder of the war.
On May 1, 1944 Allied Technical Intelligence Unit (ATIU) surveyed at four Ki-43 Oscar wrecks at Madang Airfield, noting their manufacture numbers. One Ki-43-II Oscar was near a bomb crater with 59th Sentai tail markings. Another Ki-43 Oscar had a burned out fuselage center section with tail number 47. Afterwards, these aircraft were souvenired by Australian forces for aluminum or scrapped postwar.
View on Google Earth
|Discussion Forum||Daily Updates||Reviews||Museums||Interviews & Oral Histories|