Nadzab No. 2 Airfield is located near Nadzab in the Markam Valley in New Guinea. To the south is the Markham River and Nadzab. Further to the southeast is Lae. Also known as "Nadzab No. 2", "No. 2 Strip" or "East Base". Today located in Morobe Province in Papua New Guinea (PNG). Still in use today as part of "Nadzab Airport" or "Nadzab Lae Airport".
World War II Pacific Theatre History
Occupied by the Japanese with only occasional Japanese
Army patrols through the area. Some
references incorrectly show a Japanese emergency strip at this location. In fact, there was no airfield here.
Site of the only Allied paratrooper
assault in New Guinea mainland on September 5, 1943 by the
US Army's 503rd Parachute Infantry Regiment
and Australian AIF 2/4th Field Gun Volunteers landing with short barrel 25
pounders. The operation was successful and met little resistance.
Built by the US Army and surfaced with marston matt (PSP) running northwest to southeast. Developed into a massive airbase complex. Home
the war when it was a forward base of operations against Japanese
positions, and was vital afterwards as a staging area.
Two parallel runways were built, running roughly east to west. Nadzab No. 1 Strip was located to the north. Parallel and to the south was Nadzab No. 2 Strip, closest to the Markham River.
American & Japanese missions against Nadzab
March 23 - November 9, 1943
American units based at Nadzab
5th Air Force & RAAF
Towards the end of the Pacific War, the 21st Air Depot Unit
at Nadzab was a bone yard for scrapped planes and
salvage area for repairs. The CRTC (Combat Replacement Training
Center) flew out of the base into 1945.
Post War Scrapping
Most of the wrecks
at Nadzab were scraped immediately after the
being awarded to private contractors who were
rights to scrap aircraft, sell aviation fuel and
oil. As early as September of
1945, hundreds of wrecks were scrapped by a private
smelting company. Two expatriates involved with the
scrapping were Eric Snook(s) and Arthur Scott.
most wartime wreckage was scrapped or otherwise
disappeared According to Charles
in the mid 1970's other wreckage remained,
including a Stinson L-1
and 11 Hadrian
The former 'East Base' or No.
1 & No. 2 runways are still in use today as "Nadzab Airport" or "Nadzab Lae Airport". Used by Air Niugini and other aviation companies. The runway measures 2438m x 30m at an orientation of 09/27 at an elevation of 231'. Airport codes: ICAO: AYNZ and IATA: LAE.
The former 'East Base' or No.
1 & No. 2 runways are still in use
by Air Niugini and for civil aviation,
mainly servicing Lae which
is 45 km away. Nearly every road in the area
was built by American forces, and even as
you land at Nadzab today, you can still see
WWII era taxiways in the overgrown areas
outside the modern landing area.
Engineers in Theater Operations [Pacific] "Advance Area Airdromes 31 January 1944", Map No. 24
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
October 23, 2019