Renard Field is located on Banika Island in the Russell Island Group (Russell Islands) in Central Province in the Solomon Islands. Located to the northwest is Sunlight Filed (North Field) and to the south borders Renard Sound. Also known as "South Field" or "Yandina".
After the American landing on February 21, 1943, U. S. Navy (USN) Seabees began constructing a single runway at this location. Initially, the crushed coral surfaced runway was 3,100' long and completed in early June 1943. Later, the strip was expanded to 5,300' x 200' with extensive revetment areas to each side.
When completed in early June 1943, Renard Field was first used on June 5, 1943 when COMAIRSOL conducted its first daylight raid against the Buin/Kahili area since the disastrous February 14, 1943 "St. Valentines Day Massacre". Returning from the mission, several Allied fighters landed on the new strip. By July 1945, the strip was expanded to 6,300', and was scheduled for closure.
American units based at Renard Field
U. S. Army Air Force (USAAF)
347th FG, 67th FS (P-39, P-38) Woodlark January 23, 1944–Augist 15, 44 Middleburg
U. S. Navy (USN)
VB-140 (PV-1) Espiritu Santo September 13, 1943–
VB-148 (PV-1) Espiritu Santo March 25, 1944–April 3, 1944 Munda
Still in use today by weekly domestic flights by Solomon Airlines / Fly Solomons to provide air service to the Russell Islands area.
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
July 20, 2020