Ford Island Seaplane Base is located on the southwestern corner of Ford Island at Pearl Harbor. Also known as Naval Air Station Ford Island, NAS Ford Island or or Ford Island Seaplane Base.
As early as December 16, 1918 two seaplane ramps with two hangers were built on the northwest side of Ford Island bordering Joint Services Flying Field (later renamed Luke Field). Also known as Luke Field Amphibian Base. The seaplane base expanded to span the southwest portion of Ford Island with the construction of a large hanger. By 1941, when Ford Island was taken over by the U. S. Navy, known as NAS Pearl Harbor.
American units based at Ford Island Seaplane Base (NAS Pearl Harbor)
On December 7, 1941 the Ford Island Seaplane Base was the first target bombed during the Japanese attack against Pearl Harbor. At 7:55am, D3A Val tail EI-238 piloted by Lt Cdr Takahashi released the first bomb, a Type 98 land bomb weighing 242 kg dropped onto the seaplane ramp in front of Hanger 6 in the southeastern corner of Ford Island.
Abandoned & Little Known Airfields: Luke Field / NAS Pearl Harbor / Ford Island NALF
Aichi 99 Kanbaku 'Val' Units: 1937-42 cover artwork depicts D3A Val piloted by Takahashi pages 24, 28, 96-97
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
April 7, 2020