WWII Pilot's Logbooks

Information relating to Pacific Wrecks website

Moderator: Moderator

Funta
Sergeant

WWII Pilot's Logbooks

Post by Funta »

Some years ago now I visited surviving members of my father's P-40 Kittyhawk Squadron - 76 Squadron RAAF. They allowed me to scan their Logbooks, and I've PDF'd each one to high quality. There are some 20-odd, of various ranks and experiences. Some saw service in Europe before returning to Oz to form the RAAF P-40 Squadrons. Ranks vary from Sgt Pilot to one gent who retired eventually Air Cmdre, but I've only covered his WWII period. There are 4 76 Squadron Commanders. A Pilot's Logbook his "Diary" - his "Flying Life" from start to finish, and it's a shame to think of how many have gone into the rubbish as people pass away. All except one of the people I visited have left us - with no guarantee their effects would have been preserved. I have circulated copies of the ones I have on CD/DVD to interested individuals, but I'm wondering: Is there an Internet site which stores these and others for free exchange? Surely being able to access Logbook PDFs on-line would be of value to researchers, and of interest generally? Is anyone doing this?

Sevends
Private

Re: WWII Pilot's Logbooks

Post by Sevends »

My father, Des Sheahan, flew with 76 Squadron August 1943 to April 1944 in Kirawina and Admiralty Is. I would be keen to see the copies of the logbooks you have and would also be happy to provide a copy of my fathers logbook.

Friedie
Private

Post by Friedie »

Hi, Funta

I see it's been a while but I'm wondering if you still have scans of those log books? I work at a theatre and we're producing The Little Prince next season. It would be fabulous to have a realistic-looking logbook for the pilot.

Funta
Sergeant

Post by Funta »

Hi,

Sorry about the delay in replying - my wife has been crook (Pacemaker installed etc)...

When I said I'd "copied" the Logbooks, I've produced .PDF Acrobat files of them. I'm not sure how you'd make up a "Logbook" for use on-stage from these. Maybe you'd have to fake a booklike object, print the front and back cover pages from one of mine, and glue them on?

Anyway, if you'd like to give me a call on 0414 747 885, if you still want them, we can discuss, and I'll send you a disk with the work I've done...

Rgds,

Peter.

Funta
Sergeant

Re: WWII Pilot's Logbooks - DropBox Link to download them

Post by Funta »

For anyone interested in copies of these Logbooks, below is a link to DropBox which will enable you to download them,,

Enjoy!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rtzcyspgcehm ... iwZWa?dl=0