Wreckage of 'Bluey' Truscott's P-40 Kittyhawk

Information relating to Pacific Wrecks website

Moderator: Moderator

Funta
Sergeant

Wreckage of 'Bluey' Truscott's P-40 Kittyhawk

Post by Funta »

I have read the Official Accident Report of the death of S/L 'Bluey' Truscott, C/O of 76 squadron RAAF. A close friend of mine's father was his wingman when the accident occurred just off the coast in W.A. During a mock attack on a US PBY flying boat, Truscott hit the water. With the help of US personnel, his P-40 Kottyhawk was raised and Truscott's body recovered for burial in Perth. I have seen a photo (now, can't recall where, drat!) of the raised aircraft which I think was perched on a barge at the time. I'm wondering whether afterwards it was simply dumped back overboard and might still be locatable, by a team with sufficient research and resources. Might be worth further investigation as a truly historic wreck, for perhaps museum display as is??

dionm
Private

Re: Wreckage of 'Bluey' Truscott's P-40 Kittyhawk

Post by dionm »

Hello Funta,
My grandfathger saw Blue hit the water, he siad tha a lot of grown men cried that day , my adopted uncle Ken Allen who was in the USN was also there that day on I think the USS Childs , he and another seaman dived down and puilled blueys body out of thye cockpit , Bluesy body was kept in the freezer till nexyt day his body was flown to Perth.

I have always been facinbated to know what ever happend to the Kitty hawk wreck i thought it was removed an taken away?
if its out there , i would be keen to go side scanning and go look for it . anyone know ??