About me: James Spoerl - spoerjm2

Meet the PWD online community

Moderator: Moderator

spoerjm2
Corporal

About me: James Spoerl - spoerjm2

Post by spoerjm2 »

I am the son of a WWII stateside Vet. I have at least 5 uncles who served overseas. I have a strong interest in history and would like to help research or connect information to solve mysteries of lost soldiers/fliers. My interest probably started in the 1970's when I watched Jaques Cousteau travel a river in New Guinea, discovering a crashed bomber in the jungle. To this day, I still can remember a skeleton at the controls and dog tags in the plane. Somebody, somewhere, lost this family member and never heard what happenned. They probably got a generic message by telegram. The note probably said "was lost returning on a bombing mission in the South Pacific and is presumed dead or captured."
Please let me know how I can help.
JMS

G1ngerbread
Corporal

Any answers?

Post by G1ngerbread »

Hi,
Just checking to see if you got any reponses? I have similar interests.
Thanks!

spoerjm2
Corporal

Any answers?

Post by spoerjm2 »

Sorry that it took so long to get back with you. No, I have not had any responses. I do think that a person can get involved if they want to. Many of my co-workers had fathers in the military and have no idea what areas their fathers were involved in. You could assist them in looking up where their father's served and what battles they may have fought in.
Since history is your bag, I highly recommend the story of the Lady Be Good. This WWII bomber crashed in the African desert and an incredible story resulted. Check it out by using the name as key words. It is really cool.
Keep in toch
Jim
JMS

G1ngerbread
Corporal

Post by G1ngerbread »

I have, in fact, I use a part of its history in the book I am writing: The Personal Side of Dog Tags. I was asking you since I have not had many responses on this and other boards. Sometimes you hit a hot topic, others times no response. Wish you could get more feed back! Good Luck!