Page 1 of 1
Torpedo found in New Britain
Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:13 pm
The following comes from the front page of today's POST COURIER:
Shock WWII discovery
SHOCK DISCOVERY: Domin Turana (left) and former explosives officer Elias Babate examine the torpedo propeller of a wartime submarine torpedo recently found by inland villagers of East New Britain.INLAND villagers of East New Britain were shocked to find a wartime submarine torpedo in their bush gardens. This discovery was made in a village located well away from the coast, and how the torpedo got there in the first place has left the villagers baffled.
Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:16 am
Very neat story! Not that rare to find supplies secured away from the shore. They find this kind of stuff in Okinawa all the time in the hills.
Still, a great story.
Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:42 pm
More from yesterday's POST COURIER:
People fear bomb effects
THE East New Britain Provincial Disaster office will continue to conduct awareness on the detonation and the effects of a war time torpedo that will take place soon. The submarine torpedo was discovered at Balanataman village in the Kokopo District recently and the provincial disaster office could not move the 12 feet bomb from where it was found. The torpedo still has its warhead intact and would pose a real danger to the villagers so the disaster office have decided to explode the torpedo where it was discovered. Provincial Disaster Coordinator, Aaron Maramum said they had started the awareness by talking to the ward councillor and the villagers before detonating the bomb. However, a villager has raised his concerns about the effects of torpedo. Former councillor of Ranguna ward in the Kokopo District, George Sola said the torpedo was discovered 300 metres from where he lived at Balanataman village. He said he was concerned about the effect the bomb would have on the surrounding environment and people?s properties if the bomb was detonated. His concern included the people?s cash crops. Mr Sola said the torpedo should be disposed off somewhere and not in the village. He is also worried that the blast might release some chemicals which could affect the villagers.
Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:42 pm
The torpedo has now been destroyed.
This from yesterday's POST COURIER:
Torpedo in ENB set off
?We are now satisfied and happy that this dangerous bomb has been removed from our area,? some Balanataman villagers said.
People were curious to see the explosion but kept well away from the operation area after they had been told the past week about the detonation of the torpedo.
?When the torpedo was blown up, the noise was like an airplane taking off,? the villagers said.
Provincial emergency officer Elias Babate said the detonation of the torpedo was carried out smoothly with no casualities. He said the torpedo was discovered in a contained valley away from houses, only about 25 metres around the area where the torpedo was detonated.
He said the explosion formed a crater about five metres deep with one of its sides higher than the other.
?A few banana trees and cocoa trees were destroyed but people are now happy that this dangerous relic has been removed altogether,? he said.
He said a minority of the people had raised concerns about the effects of the explosion, however, the majority had opted for the detonation.
The torpedo?s propeller is now left after it was electrically detonated.