Japan Renames Island of Iwo Jima

Discussion about wrecks and losses as well as historic sites in the Pacific.

Moderator: Moderator

Daniel Leahy
Lt Col

Japan Renames Island of Iwo Jima

Post by Daniel Leahy »

Hi All,

Not really a wreck or a loss, but here's some news I thought people might be interested in...
Japan renames island of Iwo Jima

A Japanese island that was the scene of one of the fiercest battles of World War II has been renamed to reflect the wishes of its original inhabitants.

Iwo Jima has now become the island of Iwo To, as it was known before the war.

The battle of Iwo Jima in 1945 saw 100,000 US troops attack 22,000 entrenched Japanese soldiers.

The battle produced one of the most enduring images of the war, showing US troops raising the Stars and Stripes on the island's highest point.

The island was the first Japanese territory attacked directly by ground troops in the war.

Most of the Japanese soldiers died in battle rather than be taken prisoner.

The Americans occupied the island after the war, and returned it to Japan in 1968.

In Japanese, the original name Iwo To looks and means the same as Iwo Jima - or Sulphur Island - but has a different sound, the Associated Press news agency reports.

The civilians who lived there were evacuated in 1944 as US forces advanced across the Pacific.

Some Japanese navy officers who moved in to fortify the island mistakenly called it Iwo Jima, and the name stuck, AP says.
Daniel J. Leahy
Australia

AIR POWER ARCHAEOLOGY
http://www.airpowerarchaeologyc.com

jose50
2nd Lieutenant

Iwo whatever..

Post by jose50 »

Brigadier- an interesting story. In my humble opinion, however, I feel that the island in question should remain IWO JIMA just for the sake of the history and the memory of those who were killed there, Japanese as well as American.
Best regards, jose50