Wrecks for diving in Nth QLD

Discussion about wrecks and losses as well as historic sites in the Pacific.

Moderator: Moderator

budmann
Private

Wrecks for diving in Nth QLD

Post by budmann »

I'm an avid diver who enjoys diving on wrecks, both boat and planes.
I live near Hinchinbrook Island, which is between Townsville and Cairns in Norht Queensland, and wondered if anyone had locations or info on wreck sites around this area.
I've dived on a few wrecks and have posted some footage (not of any outstanding quality, but still worth a look) on youtube.

Cheers

richard rudd
1st Lieutenant

Re: Wrecks for diving in Nth QLD

Post by richard rudd »

B24 "Texas Terror" crashed into Mt Straloch, southern end Hinchinbrook Is. Wreckage and memorial in the bush.
More your cup of tea.. Offshore from Cape Sandwich, between there and Eva island .. B17.
Has been visited but not id'd. Someone in past years mentioned they found a torch dated 1942 and something that looked like an old oxy bottle... hopefully not a bomb.
Happy hunting and safe diving.
Would be interested to hear of any sucess ID wise

budmann
Private

Post by budmann »

Thanks Richard, I think I had been in touch with you a few years back regarding the B-17 / B-24 near Eva Is.
Thought I'd drop a new post in this forum to see if there were other known wrecks in the area.

Lately I've been diving on a wreck that had supposedly only ever been seen by scientists who were surveying the sea floor with under sea rovers. Peter dunn has a good story of it on his "oz at war" website. It's not in the best shape, but still is quite an experience to check it out.
I'll keep you posted how I go with future dives!

Cheers

richard rudd
1st Lieutenant

Post by richard rudd »

Sounds interesting,.. aircraft Id'd? Only other underwater that I have heard of.... P39 nr Double Is, Palm Cove, north of Cairns. B17 in Trinity Inlet and wreckage of a B24 that crashed off Yorkey's Knob beach. Well known B25 off Rocky Point nr Mossman. When water conditions arevery calm and settled, it is clearly visible from the air... so thats one under water wreck I have seen. Ben Cropp removed an engine many years ago. Some other aircraft missing between TVL and CNS or MBA could well be in the water as opposed to the rainforest.
Happy hunting!