B-24 lost 26Oct44

Discussion about wrecks and losses as well as historic sites in the Pacific.

Moderator: Moderator

yenko2
Private

B-24 lost 26Oct44

Post by yenko2 »

Does anyone have information on a B-24 lost on a mission against IJN task force in the Sulu sea on 26Oct44? Three planes were lost from the 307th BG. Two of them have MACRs but I cannot find very much information on the third. It was piloted by 2LT Joseph W Jones and I have the crew list, but all references to the plane are to A/C # 022. I cannot find the entire number or any information on a MACR for this plane. The pilot was my wife's uncle and I'm trying to get as much information as I can. Thank you in advance for any help. Rich Huxley

RSwank
Captain

Re: B-24 lost 26Oct44

Post by RSwank »

The plane was 44-41022. There is an old post on this loss:

http://forum.armyairforces.com/Sgt-Wend ... 52838.aspx

There is a email given on the link to obtain more information.

sadunsmuir
Private

Post by sadunsmuir »

My uncle was on that plane as well. We have quite a bit of information, if you are still interested. My uncle was 2nd Lieutenant James S. Randolph. We have some photos of crew members that were returned with his belongings, as well as some government reports. You may also be interested in a book "The Long Rangers", which describes in detail the battle that took them. They completed the mission before being hit, which is of some consolation. I am in the process of trying to locate a photo of the plane with the crew. However, I know they were at that base a very short time before the mission that took their lives, so there may not have been a photo taken of the aircraft. I am currently in touch with the historian of the 307th bomb group, and he is graciously trying to help me obtain any information our family may not have. I would be happy to forward any information I have, to you.

S. Dunsmuir

ronphlf
Private

Post by ronphlf »

Hi, Im researching B-24J #44-41022 as well. Looking for info on George Rodman. Any help is appreciated.

Jim McCabe
Private

Post by Jim McCabe »

OK everyone, so sorry it has taken me this long to find this forum. I have considerable information on the Jones crew and the MACR #16023 is posted on our website, 307bg.net under our on our website's History tab. We have The Long Rangers A History of the 307th Bombardment Group (H) by Sam Britt, listed in our PX for $49.99 which includes shipping. Unfortunately, I do not have a photo of this aircraft for the reason described in this thread. About a year ago, with the assistance of the 307th Bomb Wing at Barksdale AFB, I was able to provide the Historian for the USAF enough information that they added this strike on the Japanese fleet to the 307th BG's Lineage. A copy of that document is also available on our history page. Best of all, one of our BTO's, Dale Stickrath, who was on this mission is alive and well in Florida' I'm sure he would be happy to speak with anyone interested. I should not post his contact info here but contact me thru the website above and I will put you in contact with him. He regularly attends our reunions. Dale and his crew were most fortunate to survive this combat mission, a large shell went through their left/port tail stabilizer but didn't explode until it was well past their B-24. We do have a photo of that!

Jim McCabe, Historian
307th BG Assoc.
307bg.net