History of the USS Sculpin SS191

Discussion about wrecks and losses as well as historic sites in the Pacific.

Moderator: Moderator

sealion195
Corporal

History of the USS Sculpin SS191

Post by sealion195 »

USS Sculpin's Third War Patrol
My father, Henry B. Jones, F.2C, was aboard the USS Sealion (SS-195) when it was bombed on 10 December 1942 at the Island of Cavite. He later was transferred to the USS Stingray (SS-186) and then to the USS Sculpin (SS-191). He kept a war diary from the day the Sealion was bombed up until 24 June 1942.

After reading my Dad's diary, I decided to trace his patrols on Google Earth at which time I was able to read other various accounts of the SS-191. When checking the number of Japanese ships it sunk, I read on your site and others that it had not sunk a ship during my Dad's patrol on the sub. However, in my Dad's diary, which he kept up day by day ,states that on 28 March 1942 they sited a merchant ship and Japanese destroyer. After approaching to within 1500 yards, they fired 3 torpedoes and sunk the merchant ship.

In addition, he writes about the times that the Sculpin missed. Once on 27 March and also on 1 April. (Wikipedia states March 26).

I have attached a picture of my Dad during this time period and 5 pages out of his diary so you can see a copy of the actual record. Unless I've misread something, there appears to be a missing link in the Sculpin's history during this period. Please keep these pages confidential if possible.

Please let me know what you think. I hope this helps your site and part of the history of the submarine fleet of WW II.

Thank you,

Robert A. Jones (Sealion 195)
Son of Henry B. Jones

RSwank
Captain

Re: History of the USS Sculpin SS191

Post by RSwank »

The war logs of US submarines are available for free on fold3.com. Log on and go to the WWII Section. Pick Browse all the Records and following into the section on Submarine Patrol Reports. You can actually find the report on the Sculpin for March of 1942. If you read the report of the attack, you will find that they were not sure the attack was successful. They go into some detail on this attack. At the end of each patrol, there is typically a detailed summary (often with maps) of the patrol. I am sure you will find these report interesting, particularly as you match them up to the diary you have.

sealion195
Corporal

Post by sealion195 »

RSwank,

I can't thank you enough. What a great site. Strange my Dad would have noted that they sunk the merchant ship with an exclamation point and the tonnage. Maybe confusion among the crew at the time?

RSwank
Captain

Post by RSwank »

Glad I could help. I read that report a couple of times and it almost seems like "they" (officers?) are trying to convince themselves one way or the other on what happened. They go through process of "collecting" evidence (interviews with who heard what) and finally decide that maybe the attack didn't succeed. The report is very interesting to read. If you find some other interesting comparisons between your Dad's diary and the various patrol reports, I hope you post them.

sealion195
Corporal

Post by sealion195 »

I'll be sure to do that and I appreciate your help. All those men were for sure heroes in my book. Boy how this country has changed!

PADutchman
1st Lieutenant

Post by PADutchman »

Sealion,

Are you referring to the USA when stating this country has changed?

I ask because it has been my experience volunteering in several of our local Elementary Schools not only the students have learned less US History so have their teachers.

My father was at Hickam on 12/7/1941 and I mentioned it was 12/7/2010 and I explain to a number of teachers why this date has such importance in our USA History.

My wife's company just hired a college graduate and she never knew we fought in the Pacific during WWII. My wife mentioned something I had discovered about my father's unit in the Solomons and this college graduate was shocked to learn we had a war in the Pacific.

sealion195
Corporal

Post by sealion195 »

Today's generation has no idea what the "Greatest Generation" did and could care less. America was a different place back then. Young men to this day still sacrifice their lives in combat but no one really cares. They all are comfortable in their nice homes and just don't want to be bothered. The bottom line is that Liberals have such a strong influence on the mind set of most Americans that it is just transferred to their kids. True History in school has been rewritten and no one even realizes it.

Sealion 195

czuch
Private

Post by czuch »

They ARE heros. Each and every one of them. Its shameful the lack of knowlege and appreciation our college "educated" folks have.
I love reading about the WWII subs and the Pacific war in general. While in the Navy I visited alot of the places.
If you havent been in a WWII sub, dont pass up your next chance. The price of admission is worth the experience.