B-17E "Bitch Kitty"??? 5th or 11BG

Discussion about wrecks and losses as well as historic sites in the Pacific.

Moderator: Moderator

milepegsnt
Private

B-17E "Bitch Kitty"??? 5th or 11BG

Post by milepegsnt »

Hi All,
I am a new member here.

I am a researcher and recently come across a photo of a B-17E from either the 5th or the 11th Bomb Groups. All I have to go on is the nose art photo with no serial nos being visible in the image. The B-17E "Bitch Kitty" photo looks to be have taken at Henderson Field though am not sure. Haven't found anything on this aircraft.

Any help would be appreciated.
Clip.jpg
Clip.jpg (39.42 KiB) Viewed 19800 times

RSwank
Captain

Re: B-17E "Bitch Kitty"??? 5th or 11BG

Post by RSwank »

There is a photo floating around on e-bay which shows a "Bitch Kitty". It is labeled as being from the 381st BG, but looking at how the men are dressed, I think this in incorrect. The writing on this "Bitch Kitty" seems to be a pretty good match to yours, although it is taken on the other side of the plane.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-B-17-Bombe ... 0870380416

I think that the photo is part of the Henry Utley Milne collection (H U Milne) at the US Army Heritage and Education Center. Below is a description of a photo that seems to match the one above. Unfortunately you can't see their photo online.

http://cdm16635.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ ... der/nosort

milepegsnt
Private

Post by milepegsnt »

Hi.

Thanks for the info. Glad to know there is some info to go on here. The photo I have of the aircraft shows it on a hardstand with jungle behind it. Would love to find out the unit it was attached to but its almost certainly the 5th or the 11th BG.

pladler
Corporal

Post by pladler »

I believe that Bitch Kitty was with the 11th BS Heavy, 42nd BS although I don't know it's tail number.
Attachments
Bitch Kitty Guadalcanal.JPG
Bitch Kitty Guadalcanal.JPG (148.29 KiB) Viewed 19480 times

Jagdflieger
Private

Post by Jagdflieger »

Hi,
I'm new to this forum. Perhaps I can add a little about Bitch Kitty.
Bitch Kitty was assigned to Capt. James "Ted" E. Joham of Santa Barbara, California. You are probably right. These photos were probably made at either Buttons or Cactus. He first flew to Cactus on 4 Oct with the 72nd Bomb Squadron (H) for attacks on Buka. His base leg was over Jap held territory. A Marine Major told him to hurry up and get the hell out of there because "Pistol Pete" would start shelling the field. Sure enough, Pistol Pete opened up just as "Ted" was taking the active runway. He poured on the coals racing down the runway with artillery shells following about 100 yards behind him. He was at Cactus again on the 5th and participated on attacks on Gizo and Rekata Bay. Sometime in very early Nov. Bitch Kitty engaged two Jap float-planes...but that's another story in itself.
Capt. Joham was transferred to the 98th Bomb (H) on 9 Nov and was then flying Typhoon McGoon with the USO Crew. He was written up for his discovery of the Jap fleet coming down the slot on 14 Nov in Reader's Digest, Cruising Speed, private printing 1987, Grey Geese Calling, W.M. Cleveland (History of the 11th Bombardment Group (H), 1981 (Limited Edition); and mentioned in Battle for the Solomons, by Ira Wolfert, Boston 1943.
I don't recognize Ted in your wonderful photos. Many, many thanks for posting them.