on the beach

Discussion about wrecks and losses as well as historic sites in the Pacific.

Moderator: Moderator

samjack
Private

on the beach

Post by samjack »

Hi
Iam looking for a little bit of help to find out some info on a Airacobra lying on a beach on the east coast of the Cape York peninsular .

I would have seen it in mid 1991 , my girlfriend & I where sailing North up the coast & anchored in the bay then took a walk up the beach .At first we thought that it was a crocodile ! but on closer inspection it turned out to be an Airacobra , well some of it anyway .

It was low tide & the main fuselage , the tail & I think the wings where all there , sadly I didn't have a camera .

The tricky part for me is I have lost my travel notes & I cant recall exactly which beach it was on , all I do know is that it was either Cape Flattery , Melville , Direction or Cape Grenville , the reason being that we only ever sailed 100 miles or less a day & most of the capes are sheltered from the SE winds .

This reason why I am interested is that it has always been in the back of my mind what was the story connected to this aircraft ? How did it end there ? Who was & what happened to the pilot ?

I would appreciate any info that you might be able to provide .

Many thanks

Sam

RSwank
Captain

Re: on the beach

Post by RSwank »

Have you seen this discussion?
http://www.ozatwar.com/1may42.htm

RSwank
Captain

Re: on the beach

Post by RSwank »