Finally a review for "My Life in the Service'

Discussion about books, videos, DVDs, games and other media related to the Pacifc Theatre.

Moderator: Moderator

wnh7
Private

Finally a review for "My Life in the Service'

Post by wnh7 »

You never know what you might find until you look for it that is. I have been attempting to get a review of the book "My Life in the Service" for the past two years not knowing there was one already out there. Was on line tonight and saw the following:

MIDWEST BOOK REVIEW Book Reviews, Book Lover Resources, Advice for Writers and Publishers
Wisconsin Bookwatch Volume 7, Number 8 August 2012
http://www.midwestbookreview.com/wbw/aug_12.htm

The Military Shelf

My Life in the Service
Staff Sergeant Jack E. Bates
Compiled by Wayne N. Horton
Heritage Books
100 Railroad Ave, Suite 104
Westminster, Maryland 21157-4826
9780788453892 $25.00 www.heritagebooks.com

My Life in the Service: The World War II Diary (October 7, 1944 - October 14, 1945) of Staff Sergeant Jack E. Bates is the day-by-day primary source written by a member of America's 2nd Squadron, 22nd Bombardment Group of the Fifth Air Force. Jack E. Bates called Horseheads, New York home, volunteered (allegedly) for the infantry in 1944, then transferred to the Army Air Corp. He trained as an armor gunner, was sent to Australia, and served in the Pacific theater until the end of the war. Most daily entries are fairly brief, taking up no more than a paragraph, but Bates was not one to waste words. Vintage black-and-white photographs pepper this candid and captivating firsthand account of bombing missions, daily life, and more. "Dec. 28, 44 - Didn't get it fixed again so at 4 p.m. we took off with a 408th crew and came back to Anguar late that night. Was even on the mission list tomorrow but someone had crossed my name off. They sure don't plan on giving me a rest. If I go on many missions like the last two they'll be putting me to rest I'm afraid." Compiler Wayne N. Horton has added a wealth of clarifying footnotes and an index to round out this excellent, accessible, and highly recommended snapshot of one airman's perspective of World War II.

meseek
Private

Re: Finally a review for "My Life in the Service'

Post by meseek »

thank you!

bradyvictor5
Private

Re: Finally a review for "My Life in the Service'

Post by bradyvictor5 »

wnh7 wrote:You never know what you might find until you look for it that is. I have been attempting to get a review of the book "My Life in the Service" for the past two years not knowing there was one already out there. Was on line tonight and saw the following:

MIDWEST BOOK REVIEW Book Reviews, Book Lover Resources, Advice for Writers and Publishers
Wisconsin Bookwatch Volume 7, Number 8 August 2012

The Military Shelf

My Life in the Service
Staff Sergeant Jack E. Bates
Compiled by Wayne N. Horton
Heritage Books
100 Railroad Ave, Suite 104
Westminster, Maryland 21157-4826
9780788453892 $25.00
My Life in the Service: The World War II Diary (October 7, 1944 - October 14, 1945) of Staff Sergeant Jack E. Bates is the day-by-day primary source written by a member of America's 2nd Squadron, 22nd Bombardment Group of the Fifth Air Force. Jack E. Bates called Horseheads, New York home, volunteered (allegedly) for the infantry in 1944, then transferred to the Army Air Corp. He trained as an armor gunner, was sent to Australia, and served in the Pacific theater until the end of the war. Most daily entries are fairly brief, taking up no more than a paragraph, but Bates was not one to waste words. Vintage black-and-white photographs pepper this candid and captivating firsthand account of bombing missions, daily life, and more. "Dec. 28, 44 - Didn't get it fixed again so at 4 p.m. we took off with a 408th crew and came back to Anguar late that night. Was even on the mission list tomorrow but someone had crossed my name off. They sure don't plan on giving me a rest. If I go on many missions like the last two they'll be putting me to rest I'm afraid." Compiler Wayne N. Horton has added a wealth of clarifying footnotes and an index to round out this excellent, accessible, and highly recommended snapshot of one airman's perspective of World War II.
One of my friends was told me that was a outstanding book but i never trust it but after reading your thread i think i should read "My Life in the Service" book.