Plan to go to PONAPE...

Forum for people who have traveled to Pacific locations, or are planning trips.

Moderator: Moderator

sweety_aira
Private

Plan to go to PONAPE...

Post by sweety_aira »

My aunt ask me to go to Ponape Federal State of Micronesia. I don't more about the place, the people the culture and traditions. Is someone here from Ponape or have informations about this beautiful place?
I love to know more about PONAPE can anyone tell me...

Thanks

Aira :)

saipan
Sergeant

Re: Plan to go to PONAPE...

Post by saipan »

well you posted it 2007 so i am 4 years late. pohnpei is clean and safe. i have been ther 10 times at least for business. its pretty laid back, not alot of nightlife. people are friendly and laid back. i usually just buy some booze and hang at my hotel. as for ww2 relics id suggest guam or saipan. if u dive truk is good too.

saipan
Sergeant

Post by saipan »

I should be beck in ponape, guam and saipan in sept 2011. i have seen alot of the ww2 sites but now i would like to see off the beaten trail stuff. any stuff in ponape to see?

obxgyrene
Private

Post by obxgyrene »

There are a few things. Go to the Ace hardware store in Kolonia, and look up Stan Gajda. They will know him. Stan's got a collection of stuff (including a restored Jap tankette). He also knows all the sites of historical importance on the island. Until last year you could still see the wreckage of a Marine PBJ--until the Chinese came and removed it for scrap metal. I do think that the engine emails. There is also a Jap 127mm dual purpose gun on the heights overlooking Kolonia.

In addition, although not related to WW-II, you can also visit the ruins of Nan Modal.

obxgyrene
Private

Post by obxgyrene »

Here's a link to Stan's biography on Pacific Wrecks: http://www.pacificwrecks.com/people/vis ... index.html