Papua, Buka, Bougainville Trip

Forum for people who have traveled to Pacific locations, or are planning trips.

Moderator: Moderator

Daniel Leahy
Lt Col

Post by Daniel Leahy »

Hi Bob,
Sounds like a good trip to me - Am also hoping to head back in 2008. Any updates to your trip?
Daniel J. Leahy
Australia

AIR POWER ARCHAEOLOGY
http://www.airpowerarchaeologyc.com

TLDV8
Private

Re: Papua, Buka, Bougainville Trip

Post by TLDV8 »

I found this site while doing a search for airfields in the NT / AU.

I spent a reasonable amount of time on Bougainville passing though Munda and the Solomans 1982 to 85 while working at Panguna copper mine.
A few pics here for anyone interested,sadly a lot were lost over the years.
I went bush at any opportunity while there and distinctly remember what i am sure were three Zero's that had been dragged out of the jungle and were sitting on 44 gallon drums (around 1984)
I wonder what happened to them,they seemed in very good condition at the time.

http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c345/ ... ?start=all

lvmyers
Private

Re: Travel

Post by lvmyers »

[quote="Outback Bob"]Daniel, at this stage all things are go for February. I plan to leave Australia towards the end of February. It would be good if there were more people interested in finding wrecks in this area, funding for trips of this nature are not easy to put together and organise, as you know.[/quote

I was wondering if you ever made the trip to Bougainville? My father was a Seabee on Bougainville Island during WWII at Torokina and I have been planning a trip there myself to have a look. I am wondering if you have any contacts of Locals that might be of help in things while on Island. I am planning on spending some time at Torokina and maybe take a trek on the Numa Numa trail... any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Cheers
Larry Myers.