Solomon Is wrecks, snorkelling?

Forum for people who have traveled to Pacific locations, or are planning trips.

Moderator: Moderator

bloodknot
Private

Solomon Is wrecks, snorkelling?

Post by bloodknot »

Hi everyone!
It sounds silly, but I'm looking for a place (anywhere in the Pacific, really) where I can simply snorkel around some wrecks. I'm a scaredy-cat about scuba diving, but I'd love to see some wrecks both above and below the water. I've heard the Solomons might provide the best opporunity for snorkelling. Does anyone know if this is correct, and also if there are any alternative locations? I'm happy to travel anywhere (given a certain budget!)

Any suggestions/information gratefully accepted.

paul
Private

Re: Solomon Is wrecks, snorkelling?

Post by paul »

Yes. There are the beached/semi-submerged japanese cargo ships Boneg I&II on Guadalcanal, The Toa Maru near Gizo, the Kasi Maru on New Georgia, and several aircraft in shallow waters near Gizo, Munda, Seghi, etc. Plus of course lots of wrecks on shore.
Contact the local dive centers, they will have all the info.
I was there in '99, and never got tired of snorkelling.

Dave Porter
Private

Post by Dave Porter »

Hi there,
I just registered for this forum and noticed your posting about snorkelling in the South Pacific. My wife and I have a trip to Vanuatu planned for July 19 thru August 2, 2009 (she's a travel agent with a South Pacific specialty certification). Coming up very soon! It's around $3000 per person including some tours and snorkelling at places like Million Dollar Point. (Google it if you want more information on it). Here's a copy of the short flyer, give us a call if you're interested.

Dave

SOUTH PACIFIC WWII TOUR

12 DAYS OF R&R IN NEW HEBRIDES (VANUATU)
This island area was the rear-staging area for the U.S. in the South Pacific -
the first stop for people and equipment going into battle and where
servicemen came for the hospital or a break.

Join us for a customized tour of WWII sites and wrecks,
with time available for your own R&R activities

19 July – 02 August, 2009 (Best time of year in the South Pacific)

Includes: Roundtrip Airfare from LAX, transfers, hotel accommodations in Port Vila and Espritu Santo, continental breakfasts, 2 all-day custom tours of WWII sites, and free time for your own explorations and relaxation. (Vanuatu has been ranked one of the top dive/snorkel spots in the world.)

Today: Contact us to reserve your spot (Deposit of $350 guarantees a spot)
Total price: Remaining $2999/person (double occupancy) due in May 2009

Contact for Payments or More Information:
Dave/Nancy Porter - 530-391-5650 or 530-677-5115 or greatadventures@comcast.net

Jadefox
Private

Post by Jadefox »

bloodknot wrote:Hi everyone!
It sounds silly, but I'm looking for a place (anywhere in the Pacific, really) where I can simply snorkel around some wrecks. I'm a scaredy-cat about scuba diving, but I'd love to see some wrecks both above and below the water. I've heard the Solomons might provide the best opporunity for snorkelling. Does anyone know if this is correct, and also if there are any alternative locations? I'm happy to travel anywhere (given a certain budget!)

Any suggestions/information gratefully accepted.
Did you end up going? I'm leaving for Solomon Islands in less than one week, and I'd love to know your experience! Thanks