Need Information On B-24

Details about those listed as missing or killed in the Pacific, including current search operations.

Moderator: Moderator

hennjhn
Sergeant

Need Information On B-24

Post by hennjhn »

Need information on a B-24 that disappeared between Lae and Port moresby, Papua New Guinea on 9/2/43. The aircraft was assigned to the 65th Bomb Squadron, 43rd Bomb Group. Two of the crew members were 2nd Lt. Howard L. Munson and 2nd Lt. William H. Vandergrift. I would like if someone could please give me the serial number of this plane. I check the MACR Data Base on armyairforces.com, only one number was found for this date and group but no plane number was listed. The crew was MIA on 9/2/43 and a finding of death was on 1/14/46. Thank You: John
John Hennessy

Ranuguri
Corporal

Need Information On B-24

Post by Ranuguri »

John - Believe the aircraft was in fact a B-17. Check with Bruce Hoy who has a wealth of information on American casualties and aircraft serial numbers. I think the aircraft was 41-26??.

Daniel Leahy
Lt Col

Post by Daniel Leahy »

Ranuguri is correct, the aircraft you are searching for is actually B-17E 41-2653 (MACR 14147):

1/Lt Michael LaPorte
2/Lt Howard L Munson
2/Lt Gordon R Spoor
2/Lt William H Vandergrift
T/Sgt Idris T Jenkins
T/Sgt Alvin B Rowe Jr
S/Sgt Robert J Frankenberger
S/Sgt Ture E Lindstrom
S/Sgt Francis W Neville
S/Sgt Orville B Severson
Daniel J. Leahy
Australia

AIR POWER ARCHAEOLOGY
http://www.airpowerarchaeologyc.com

hennjhn
Sergeant

Thank You

Post by hennjhn »

Ranuguri...Thank you very much for your information on my three post. it was very helpful. Yes I knew Bruce Hoy since the Late seventy's into the early eighty"s, he went with our search team on a few MIA recovery sites in Papua New Guinea. I also did some research with him on some plane crash sites with MIA's. You tell me to check with him on my two post, but I can't, I need a E-mail address for him. If you know it could you please give it to me, if not he can reach me at hennjhn@aol.com. I would like to hear from him. Again thanks a lot.

John
John Hennessy

Ranuguri
Corporal

Need Information On B-24

Post by Ranuguri »

John..I was last in brief contact with Bruce a few years ago. His email address at that time was landahoy@bigpond.com, but messages to that address these days have bounced. Perhaps he may be reading this web site and make contact with you, or perhaps others may advise you what his current address is. My last personal contact with him was in Port Moresby in the late 1970s and early 1980s. He had a fabulous amount of information/documentation as well as having a photographic memory of airplane serial numbers and losses. It appears as if he was a real asset to CIL while with the Museum in Port Moresby and I think for several years afterwards and I am surprised that he appears to have dropped out of sight these days! Cheers...Doug