B-25 lost off New Britain 6/6/44

Details about those listed as missing or killed in the Pacific, including current search operations.

Moderator: Moderator

Leondus
1st Lieutenant

Post by Leondus »

Wes,

Here is the location I was tell you about.
Yellow dot is the area listed on line 4

My guess is that they maybe used Mt. Balbi as a nav aid.
BTW, from what I can tell the winds were North and North East but no MPH listed

wes
Sergeant

b-25 lost 6-7-44

Post by wes »

Great map Leondus. thank you.
Although not likely to have gone down in the New Britain Trench, that is very deep water.

We did a conversion of the 8940 meter depth shown on the map and that converts to 29,641 feet or nearly 6 miles deep. The pinpointed location appears to not be that deep, but likely in the range of 3-4 miles deep.

swintjj
Private

Re: B-25 lost off New Britain 6/6/44

Post by swintjj »

Hello all,

I don’t know if anyone is still looking at this thread, but I am also looking for information on Harry Stickel. Harry was my Great Uncle and I am in possession of most of his medals, many pictures and the flag that was presented to his father.

According to a 2/25/1946 newspaper article his plane was lost during a tropical storm. I have many pictures in front of B-25s including one called the “Alpine Milkman”. The hand written caption on the back states that the Alpine Milkman had 187 missions. Harry is posing with three other men in front of the aircraft, but I do not know who they are for sure. One of the men looks like S/Sgt Frank Erickson. The caption also states it was taken in the Sterling Islands in April of 1944.

I have another picture with a crew of six. Some of the names were mentioned above. The caption on the back says:
Lt John Seymour
Lt Marks Castello
Lt. William Favor
S/Sgt Heinz Wobst,
S/Sgt Harry Stickel,
S/Sgt Frank Erickson
This picture has a camera shop stamp of March 25, 1944.

A slight correction concerning his air medal. It has the numeral “9” on it not “8”.

Any information would be appreciated.

swintjj@earthlink.net