Ens Harry Warnke, USN - Burial

Details about those listed as missing or killed in the Pacific, including current search operations.

Moderator: Moderator

Daniel Leahy
Lt Col

Ens Harry Warnke, USN - Burial

Post by Daniel Leahy »

Hi All,

I received this article from Ted Darcy this morning:
Remains of WWII pilot coming home

July 19, 2007
By Christin Nance Lazerus Post-Tribune staff writer

WESTVILLE -- Harry Warnke's remains are coming home 63 years after he crashed into a mountain on the Hawaiian island of Oahu.
The Gary native's remains will be laid to rest at 10 a.m. Friday at the Westville Cemetery.

There is already a memorial stone for Harry Warnke at his family's plot; his parents set it up soon after his death.

It's been an arduous journey for his family since June 15, 1944. The military initially told the family that Warnke crashed his plane during training exercises over the sea.

Actually, the Navy ensign crashed his F6F-3 Hellcat into the Koolau Range on Oahu.

In 1991, historian Ted Darcy discovered that a search team found part of Warnke's plane and remains three days after the crash and held a funeral service. Darcy investigates the whereabouts of missing soldiers.

Intrigued as to why Warnke's remains had not been collected, Darcy went on a six-hour hike and found the remains. He alerted Warnke's sister, Myrtle Tice, the only surviving immediate family member. Tice, 87, had always believed he was missing.

It took 15 years before a recovery effort was launched. The remains were finally retrieved last summer.

Darcy said the process of identifying World War II victims was pushed to the back burner as victims of the Korean and Vietnam wars took precedence.

"It's sad work. It allows families to finally get closure because they always wonder what happened to them," Darcy said.
Daniel J. Leahy
Australia

AIR POWER ARCHAEOLOGY
http://www.airpowerarchaeologyc.com

Daniel Leahy
Lt Col

Post by Daniel Leahy »

Here is an article from the Post-Tribune relating to Warnke's funeral:
http://www.post-trib.com/477893,warnke.article
Thanks once more to Ted Darcy for passing this along.
Pilot's 63-year story 'part of history' now

July 21, 2007
By Christin Nance Lazerus Post-Tribune staff writer

WESTVILLE -- The story of what happened to Harry Warnke is finally over.

The Navy had informed his sister, Myrtle Tice, and parents that the Navy ensign had disappeared while flying over the Pacific Ocean on June 15, 1944.

In 1990, historian Ted Darcy found the wreckage of Warnke's F6F-3 Hellcat on the Koolau Range on Oahu, Hawaii.

Darcy called Tice, who said she was shocked by the news. She said her parents had erected a memorial for Harry at Westville Cemetery, but she wanted to bring his remains home.

It took another 16 years before a recovery team collected Warnke's remains.

But on Friday afternoon, representatives from the Navy and the Michigan City American Legion Post provided military honors for a service to bury the Navy pilot's remains after 63 years.

Tice said she was pleased and that the ceremony has allowed her and others to find some closure.

She said she recalled him as an outgoing boy whom family members nicknamed "Bud."

Tice's daughter, Patricia Walter, was born the year before Warnke died. Her memories of Warnke consist of photos and family stories.

"There's a picture of him in his uniform, holding me at the christening," Walter said. "But I really don't remember him."

Old friends came to pay their respects as well.

Hilda Luedtke of Crown Point and Warnke were in the same confirmation class at Trinity Lutheran Church. Warnke was in the ROTC and Luedtke attended dances with their group of friends.

Robert Premil, 83, of Merrillville, said he joined the Civil Pilot Training Program with Warnke in 1942.

After obtaining their wings, Warnke chose pilot fighter jets and Premil manned four-engine transport planes.

They were stationed in different cities, but they met up one last time in the spring of 1944, in Alameda, Calif.

"We spent the day together, and he showed me his aircraft. He was very proud of it," Premil said. "That was the last I saw of him."

Premil said he was content that his friend would get a proper burial at last.

"We had a lot of good times together," Premil said. "I suppose the finality of it is what we are confronted with now and that's part of history."
Daniel J. Leahy
Australia

AIR POWER ARCHAEOLOGY
http://www.airpowerarchaeologyc.com