Last of the 42nd BS MIA on Feb. 1, 1943

Details about those listed as missing or killed in the Pacific, including current search operations.

Moderator: Moderator

pladler
Corporal

Last of the 42nd BS MIA on Feb. 1, 1943

Post by pladler »

Ref : Pacific Wrecks "B-17E Flying Fortress SN 41-9151"

Mission History:
"Yokohama Express" 41-2442 piloted Captain Harold P. Hensley was supposed to be piloted by a Captain Glenn W. Sorensen.

As of Dec. 29, 2014 Retired Lieutenant Colonel Glenn W. Sorensen lives in Sacramento, CA and is 100 years old. My wife (who took notes) and I interviewed him on Dec. 12, 2014 at his home. He does recall my dad, TSgt. Paul F. Adler, Engineer on Captain Hall's B-17E 41-9151 and also recalls Captain Hall. He said that he and Captain Hensley were very good friends and that they played checkers all the time. He explained that he had contacted Dengue fever and was very sick on the morning of Feb. 1, 1943 on the flight line. He was replaced by Captain Hensley, his friend, for the mission. All three 42nd BS B-17s and crews, the last of the unit, went MIA. As noted, only Captain Thomas from the 5th BG, 72nd BS returned.

Does anyone know anything about "Captain Thomas"? I have been unable to learn his full name. I did, however, find a Captain Thomas J. Classen 5th BG, 72nd BS who was assigned to the 42nd BS. If this is the same Captain Thomas, then he would have been assigned to the 42nd some time after Nov. 1942 since he is not listed in a 42nd BS Group Xmas Photo taken in Nov. 1942.

Paul E. Adler

Edward
Administrator

Re: Last of the 42nd BS MIA on Feb. 1, 1943

Post by Edward »

Hi Paul,

I just came across your post.

Congratulations on meeting and interviewing Col. Glenn Sorensen.

The name of the 5th BG pilot was Capt. Jay P. Thomas. I have been collecting as much information as I can on the heavy bomber missions of 1, 13 & 14 February 1943 against Japanese shipping at the Shortlands and Kahili.

I would be glad to share what I have on the 1 February 1943 mission if you are still working on this. Please send me a PM via this website.

There is also a long thread on this at the AAF forum.

Edward

pladler
Corporal

Post by pladler »

Hi Edward,
Yes, I'm still working on this. I'd be glad to have anything you could share in the subject and will share what I have with you.
I don't know if this site allows mr to send you my email, but here it is

pladler@surewest.net

Thank you so much for the reply.

Paul E. Adler

pladler
Corporal

Post by pladler »

Mr. Glenn W. Sorensen passed away on Sept. 26, 2015. He was a true hero.

Paul Earl Adler