345th Bomb Group/498th Bomb Squadron

Information about veterans of the Second World War in the Pacific, including friends and family.

Moderator: Moderator

ncisland11
Private

345th Bomb Group/498th Bomb Squadron

Post by ncisland11 »

Hello,

I am looking for information pertaining to crew rosters for this Army AF Group. I recently purchased a letter from a crew member, T/Sgt R.A. Gross, dated May 20th 1944. I am a collector of military items and medals, especially those items from WW II era, and would really like to find out more about Sgt Gross, his plane, fellow crew members. If anyone could provide info as to where I could look, internet links, books anything you could think of. I have already contacted someone from the 345th Bomb Group web page, but haven't heard back with any info yet. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks !

ncisland11
Private

Re: 345th Bomb Group/498th Bomb Squadron

Post by ncisland11 »

Correction to this mans name, after doing some web searches I was able to track down some info using his serial number. His last name is CROSS not Gross, his handwriting linked the letters so closely it was hard to determine it. But I would still like more info on his squadron and group if anyone can help there.

Thanks !

msroby345
Private

Re: 345th Bomb Group/498th Bomb Squadron

Post by msroby345 »

The original Warpath, an annual of the 345th Bomb Group, lists a Robert A Cross from Los Angeles, CA and a R.A. Cross from Eastland, TX, both in the 498th Bomb Squadron. Lawrence Hickey's book, Warpath Across the Pacific, contains a photo of the crew of "Impatient Virgin" that includes a Robert A Cross. (1996 Edition, page 37.) My husband and I have been doing a lot of research at the National Archives, but unfortunately, there are not a lot of load lists for the 498th. The few that we have discovered are later in the war and we will look for Sgt. Cross' name.

Mary Roby
Mary Sloan Roby
345th Bomb Group Association
mroby1916@gmail.com
540-595-9903