Sidney O. Westrom

Details about those listed as missing or killed in the Pacific, including current search operations.

Moderator: Moderator

SylviaJean
Private

Sidney O. Westrom

Post by SylviaJean »

I am looking for any information on my Uncle, Sidney O. Westrom, 126 Infantry Regiment, 32 Infantry Division. We were told he was KIA/MIA in New Guinea or somewhere in the Pacific during WWII. He is from Elbow Lake, Mn. He has two brothers living, ages 89 and 81, who would appreciate any information. A Veteran's Memorial in Elbow Lake, MN is in the process of being constructed and we would like any accurate information we can find. Thank you - Sylvia Westrom

Daniel Leahy
Lt Col

Re: Sidney O. Westrom

Post by Daniel Leahy »

Hi Sylvia,

According to the American Battle Monuments Commission website, PFC WESTROM was declared dead on February 16, 1946.

Using the 1 Year and 1 Day 'rule', this would mean that PFC WESTROM may have been killed on February 15, 1945. If this is the case, the 32nd Division was taking part in the Battle of Luzon, and he may have been killed on the Villa Verde Trail. Note that these are a bunch of 'maybes'.

I will look into the case further when I return home next week, but if you have any extra information please feel free to add it here or forward it to mia@pacificwrecks.com

I also have a profile for PFC WESTROM set up on the Project PRIAM database HERE.

Cheers,

Daniel
Daniel J. Leahy
Australia

AIR POWER ARCHAEOLOGY
http://www.airpowerarchaeologyc.com

VSOJoe
Private

Re: Sidney O. Westrom

Post by VSOJoe »

Sylvia-

I am the Grant County Veterans Service Officer, I am looking for your contact information so I can share information with you regarding Sidney. I spoke with Norlin this morning and he didn't have your number. If you get this posting please call my office at 685-8324.

Joe