Photos of a wreck

Discussion about wrecks and losses as well as historic sites in the Pacific.

Moderator: Moderator

ja totter
Private

Photos of a wreck

Post by ja totter »

I have some photos of a wreck that I took in 1975. They were taken off the south coast of Irian Jaya (West Irian). The wreck was near a very small island that I recall was designated Joes Geneen. The nearest city/village at the time was Sorong. I think that the wreck was a P47 but according to mechanics at the Commemorative Air Force there are discrepancies with the propeller a gear drive. There was not a whole lot of the wreck left. At spring tides low tide it was completely exposed. I would like to know if this was a known wreck and any of its history. I was told that 2 years before I visited the site a member of an oil exploration team had removed the only machine gun remaining.

Boba
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Photos of a wreck

Post by Boba »

Any photos and part numbers present on the wreckage would be very helpful in at least identifying the type and then trying to confirm the aircraft and circumstances...

Cheers,

Bob Alford
Lampang Thailand

ja totter
Private

Post by ja totter »

I can give the number off a large v brace that has what looks like a skid at the base of the V. that is 9F 11120-11. There may be an 8 at the begining but it might also just be some damage. There is another set of numbers on the nose of a small tank the first looks like a date 6-43 and the other side of the circular disc is 8606 and in the third position is AF 33 with the first 3 over stamped with a 4. The wreck was approximately S 1°48' E131°42'. What is the best way to get the photos to you?

Boba
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Boba »

Best way is to email me on bo.balford@hotmail.com. In the meantime I'll chase up the part numbers and the date 6-43 will also provide information...

Cheers,

Bob Alford
Lampang Thailand