Beaufighter A19-202, crashed-celebes 6/12/44

Discussion about wrecks and losses as well as historic sites in the Pacific.

Moderator: Moderator

NickS
Private

Beaufighter A19-202, crashed-celebes 6/12/44

Post by NickS »

On the 6/12/44 My great Uncle, a navigator in 30sqn. RAAF, was killed when his aircraft, a beaufighter serial number A19-202, piloted by F/Lt A R McPHERSON, crashed into the side of a hill while attacking a motor transport on a road. The crash was witnessed by another beaufighter flying in company. The crash occurred 14miles east of Capr Binta (which i have found no mention of other than in my great uncle's log book, and documents gained from the National Archives, so i assume it now has a different name). The position of the crash is 123.43/E, 00.51/N. The report i have states that the pilot of the other aircraft, Flight Lieutenant G.J Miersch, saw A19-202 begin it's attack on the motor transport, looked away to turn on his reflector sight, and saw a bright flash out of the corner of his eye. He looked back to the target area to see a large fire blazing on the hill-side.
My great uncle's body as recovered, and was in fact moved from it's original location in the Makassar war cemetry, Celebes, to where it is today on Ambon.
I would love to gather more information and i wonder if anything of the crash site remains, if anyone knows anything i would really appreciate replies. I have my great Uncle's complete log book, and other documents from the national archives, as well as a photo of the squadron. (this photo is not labelled and while i assume it is of 30sqn. i suppose it may be of the training units he belonged to before hand.
Hope everyone shares my interest and i would be happy to share any of the information i have gathered with anyone else.
Thanks all,
Nick

Colin C Tigwell
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Colin C Tigwell »

Ah I suspect there is a lot more info on this.

Rather than have a middle man, who may onloy muddle this up, I suggest.

Log to

http://www.adfserials.com

There is a brief history on each Beaufighter there.

However go one stage further and register for the forum/message board, and ask your questions there. I suspect that you will be overwhelmed by info including photos.

Hope this helps, there is a good bunch of guys there, who live and breath this sort of stuff

Col
Vietnam Vet and proud of it.

Colin C Tigwell
2nd Lieutenant

Sorry that should read

http://www.adf-serials.com

Col

NickS
Private

Post by NickS »

Hey Colin,
Yeah that's a great site, i had been there ages ago but they only had a very small piece on this plane, I see know that they have more, but it slightly differs from my research in that they say the plane crashed into the ocean, i submitted what i have to them, so hope that will help, and will join the forum as you suggested and see what we can come up with.
Thanks heaps!

Colin C Tigwell
2nd Lieutenant

Yes I suspect that file space restricts what they can put on the site.

But lurking in the background is a pile of knowledge and reports that could help.

Also if you write to the air force museum at Point Cook, they will copy all that they have on this matter.

Reports will vary, caused by dating of the reports, later reports often clarify and correct previous issues, particularly if the site was visited after the war.

Col

Daniel Leahy
Lt Col

Post by Daniel Leahy »

I just came across this thread...

Recently while contacting Office of Australian War Graves in regards to another case, the crew of this Beaufighter was brought up. This is what was sent to me - Nothing much:
The two Australians originally buried in BC 13-14 at Morotai are Flight Lieutenant Alexander Roy Macpherson, RAAF dod 6.12.44, now buried in Ambon 33.A.5 and Flight Sergeant Norman Robert Stanton, RAAF, dod 6.12.44, now buried in Ambon 33.A.6.
Feel free to drop us an E-Mail and I'll send you what I can find here for you.
Daniel J. Leahy
Australia

AIR POWER ARCHAEOLOGY
http://www.airpowerarchaeologyc.com