Massacre of U.S. Pilots

Details about those listed as missing or killed in the Pacific, including current search operations.

Moderator: Moderator

Anthony J. Mireles
Captain

Massacre of U.S. Pilots

Post by Anthony J. Mireles »

Many years ago I came across a story that several U.S. pilots were murdered while sleeping in their bunks on a Pacific Island U.S. Air Base by Japanese hold-overs who were hiding in the jungle near the base. Can someone give me the details about this incident? Where did it happen? Who were the pilots and what unit did they belong to? When exactly did it happen? Any help on this subject is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Tony Mireles
http://www.warbirdcrash.com

PF
Lt Col

Help?

Post by PF »

I read somewhere that in last days of Battle of Iwo Jima-a Banzai attack was launched on a US camp at night.

whitesharkseeker
2nd Lieutenant

Post by whitesharkseeker »

Iwo Jima, near end of battle.

-Eric

whitesharkseeker
2nd Lieutenant

As a follow up. The ambush by the Japanese happened on March 26th, 1945 around 0500 and was conducted by some 250 infiltrators. They hit the western side of airfield #2 being guarded by the 5th Pioneer Battalion. Many of those Marines, however, didn't have ammo for their rifles since they turned them in for prepartion to depart the island the next day. A stupid blunder. Many US airmen and Marines were slaughtered in their sleep. 56 US airmen and Marines died and 116 wounded. 265 Japanese were counted dead the next day, finished off by flamethrower tanks. It was reported that Gen. Kuribayashi participated in that attack but his body was never identified or found.

-Eric

whitesharkseeker
2nd Lieutenant

I think the Airforce component involved in the attack were mainly support personnel of the 7th Airwing Command but need to review my material (packed away) to be sure. All were sleeping in tents that fateful morning....

-Eric