Wrecks on Halmahera Island, Indonesia

Discussion about wrecks and losses as well as historic sites in the Pacific.

Moderator: Moderator

jamesd
Private

Wrecks on Halmahera Island, Indonesia

Post by jamesd »

Am looking for information, particularly Japanese wrecks in Kao Bay, Halmahera Island, Indonesia.
I’m particularly interested in the history of the Japanese occupation on the island but particularly the Kao area.
I have heard a story that there were many ships sunk there on just one day during the Japanese occupation. Can anybody confirm this????
As justin asked, I'm new to the site, I'm an Aussie, a keen diver with particular intrest in wrecks. My father was based in the general area I'm asking about during the war.

Mr.Chris
1st Lieutenant

Re: Wrecks on Halmahera Island, Indonesia

Post by Mr.Chris »

Hi James:

Yes, Kao is a natural harbor where the Japanese kept their shipping. There were several air attacks there in late 1944 when the Allies were moving across the bird of New Guinea from Noemfoor to Morotai. One of my friends went diving there, and says to be careful about diving there. Says the local diving equipment can be unsafe. There are many sunken ships there as well as guns onshore.

Chris

jamesd
Private

Re: Wrecks on Halmahera Island, Indonesia

Post by jamesd »

Thanks Chris.....do you possibly have a contact for your friend who dived there? I'm real keen to check it out and to get more solid background info of amount of known wrecks etc...jd