AHS Centaur wreck found

Discussion about wrecks and losses as well as historic sites in the Pacific.

Moderator: Moderator

davidf
2nd Lieutenant

AHS Centaur wreck found

Post by davidf »

from abc.net.au 20 December 2009 http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009 ... 776780.htm

Crew finds Centaur shipwreck

A search team has discovered the wreck of Australian wartime hospital ship Centaur.

The WWII ship was torpedoed by a Japanese submarine in 1943 and sank off the south-east Queensland coast.
Of the 332 people on board the AHS Centaur only 64 survived.

This morning, seven days into an official search, the crew of the Seahorse Spirit confirmed the location of the wreck.

Centaur search director David Mearns says the wreck location is about 30 nautical miles due east of the southern tip of Moreton Island at a depth of 2,059 metres.

Mr Mearns, who also led the searches for HMAS Sydney and Kormoran, says the discovery is quite an achievement.
"It's a great sense of relief and satisfaction," he said.
"Every time you find a shipwreck like this it's a little bit different and this was very, very hard compared to Sydney and Kormoran, whose finds were almost instantaneous.
"This has taken a number of days to really work out that we had the right target."

Ian Hudson from the Centaur Association says the ship's discovery will give closure to the loved ones of those who died.
"There's been so many reports of finding the ship in the past where it's been other vessels that have been sunk, and that's caused a lot of problems for family," he said.
"This will be the absolute end of it and I suppose in modern parlance people can then move on."

Queensland Premier Anna Bligh has praised the work of the Centaur search team.
"The search team have done an outstanding job in the most difficult circumstances," she said.
"This now means we have a final resting place for the Centaur and it can be marked and it can be preserved and protected.
"This is now a significant military grave site and an exclusion zone will be created to protect it."

Ms Bligh says a remotely operated submersible vehicle with a camera will take more photos of the wreck in early January.

Dean
Sergeant

Re: AHS Centaur wreck found

Post by Dean »

This is great news.

I really hope they now look for one of the last remaining great mysteries of WWII that is is the wreck of the Montevideo Maru in which over 1000 Australians POW's died after it was torpedoed by the submarine, USS Sturgeon.

Andy in West Oz
Captain

Re: AHS Centaur wreck found

Post by Andy in West Oz »

Completely agree with you on all points there, Dean. Finding the Centaur is wonderful and hopefully gets people thinking about the Montevideo Maru.

I'd like to see another attempt to find the USS Indianapolis but, obviously, Australian government funds wouldn't be forthcoming there!
Andy Wright
Aircrew Book Review
I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library - Jorge Luis Borges