Clipperton Island is a coral atoll in the eastern Pacific Ocean. In French, known as Île de Clipperton. In Spanish known as Isla de la Pasión. Located 5,400 km (2,900 nautical miles) from Tahiti and 1,080 km (580 nautical miles) to the west of Mexico. In the center is a lagoon divided between the eastern basin and western basin. At the northwest corner of the island is a landing strip. Clipperton Island is administered by France.
Ownership of Clipperton Island was disputed by France and Mexico and culminated in a treaty on March 2, 1909 the "Clipperton Island Case" declared the island to be a French possession. During the 1930s, the French rebuilt the island's lighthouse and created a military outpost but was abandoned seven years before abandoned.
During World War II, the French abandoned the island. During 1942, U. S. Navy (USN) reconnaissance the island. During the middle of April 1942, USS Atlanta (CL-51) performed a reconnaissance of Clipperton Island and finds the island abandoned. During 1944 until 1945 occupied by U. S. forces. By the end of the Pacific War abandoned by the military.
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
December 24, 2020