|Missing In Action (MIA)||Prisoners Of War (POW)||Unexploded Ordnance (UXO)|
|Chronology||Locations||Aircraft||Ships||Submit Info||How You Can Help||Donate|
Apra Harbor located off western coast of Guam Island in the Territory of Guam in the Mariana Island Group (Mariana Islands) in the United States of America (USA). The northern edge of Apra Harbor is formed by Cabras Island, a long finger like island and reef. At the eastern end of Apra Harbor is Sasa Bay.
Apra Harbor is the largest anchorage on Guam. Used by the Spanish until 1898. After the Spanish-American War, the U.S. occupied Guam as part of the terms of the Treaty of Paris. On June 20, 1898 U.S. Navy (USN) USS Charleston (C-2) under the command of Captain Henry Glass arrived to take possession of the island. Guam was transfered to the U.S. Navy on December 23, 1898 by President William McKinley.
Between 1898 until 1941, Apra Harbor was an important American port vessels crossing the Pacific. During 1903 linked by telegraph cable telephone cable established by e Commercial Pacific Cable Company. In the 1930s, Pan American established Apra Harbor Seaplane Base to support Clipper flying boats on their trans-Pacific route from San Francisco-Manila-Hong Kong route.
Apra Harbor Seaplane Base
USS Gamble (DD-123 / DM-15)
|Discussion Forum||Daily Updates||Reviews||Museums||Interviews & Oral Histories|