The Malinta Tunnel is located in Malinta Hill in the center southern side of Corregidor
Island in Cavite Province in the Philippines. The entrance is near South Dock.
The Malinta Tunnel was built by the US Army Corps of Engineers between 1922–1933 as part of the defenses for Corregidor
Island and for storage of ammunition and supplies, including fuel storage, quatermaster's area, Navy Tunnel and harbor defense coordination. There were four main entrances to the tunnel: North Entrance, East Entrance, Navy Tunnel, Bottom Side (West Entrance). The main tunnel spans 836' x 24', with chambers extending out from each side.
During the defense of the Philippines, used as an underground headquarters and supplies
storage area for USAFFE Headquarters. The tunnel included quarters for Philippine President Manuel Quezon and General Douglas MacArthur.
During the Japanese siege on Corregidor, stores inside Malinta Tunnel was found to be 30% defective for ammunition, and much of the stored food was spoiled due to the damp conditions. When the island surrendered, American prisoners were photographed outside the tunnel.
Occupied by the Japanese and used to store supplies and evade American air raids and bombardments of Corregidor against the island during early 1945 and used during the Battle of Corregidor. On February 21, 1945, the Japanese detonated demolition
charges to explode the tunnel during the battle, ending its use by the defenders in an attempt to deprive it from the Americans. After the battle, the tunnel was cleared and rendered safe.
The north entrance restored and part of the tunnel is accessible to visitors touring the island.
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
March 1, 2020