|Missing In Action (MIA)||Prisoners Of War (POW)||Unexploded Ordnance (UXO)|
|Chronology||Locations||Aircraft||Ships||Submit Info||How You Can Help||Donate|
Lat 11° 14' 36N Long 125° 0' 17E Tacloban is located on the northeast of Leyte in Leyte Province in the Eastern Visayas (Region VIII) in the Philippines. Also known as Taclaban, Tocloban or Dakuban. To the east borders San Pedro Bay and beyond Leyte Gulf. Connected by Highway 1 that runs north to south. To the north is the bridge connecting to Samar. To the south is Palo and beyond Tanauan and Dulag. Today known as Tacloban City designated as a 1st class highly urbanized city within Leyte Province and is connected via the San Juanico Bridge (Marcos Bridge) to Samar Province on Samar Island.
During 1942, occupied by the Japanese who referred to this location as "Tacroban". On October 20, 1944 liberated by the U.S. Army and developed into a base area. Designated US Army APO 72 (Tacloban).
Base K (Leyte / Tacloban)
US Army Letter Base designation base located at Tacloban.
Tacloban Airfield (Daniel Z. Romualdez Airport)
Built by the Americans in 1945, still in use today
Leyte Provincial Capitol
Located on Sen. Eñage Street fronting Plaza Liberated and the University of the Philippines Visayas Tacloban. Built in 1907, it is the seat of the provincial government of Leyte. Historic viewing of mural depicting the First Mass in Limasawa in the Orient and Gen Douglas MacArthur´s landing; became the seat of the commonwealth Government of the Philippines when President Sergio Osmeña, Sr. returned with General Mac Arthur.
Located on Justice Romualdez St., Tacloban City. An example of the American colonial home built in 1990. Sturdy mansion where Gen. Mac Arthur put up his official headquarters and residence when he came with the Liberation forces in October 20, 1944.
The Redona Residence is located on T. Claudio Street, Tacloban City. During late October 1944, this house became the official residence of President Osmeña, Sr. when he returned to the Philippines with U. S. forces and was used until the Philippine Commonwealth government was reestablished in Manila.
Oct 20, 1944
|Discussion Forum||Daily Updates||Reviews||Museums||Interviews & Oral Histories|