|Missing In Action (MIA)||Prisoners Of War (POW)||Unexploded Ordnance (UXO)|
|Chronology||Locations||Aircraft||Ships||Submit Info||How You Can Help||Donate|
September 13, 1945
Justin Taylan 2000
Liz Whitehead 1987
Justin Taylan 2004
Justin Taylan 2005
Lat 3° 31' 0S Long 143° 35' 60E Cape Wom is located on the north coast of New Guinea. Also known as "Wom", "Cape Wom" or "Wom Point". To the east is Wewak and offshore to the northeast is Raboin Island. Today located in Wewak District of East Sepik Province in Papua New Guinea.
Cape Wom was occupied by the Japanese Army during December 1942. Anti-aircraft guns were emplaced in this area and bunkers constructed for defense. In June 1945, liberated by the Australian Army who established "Cape Wom Camp" at this location.
Keith W. Bryant, VX 85794 AIF 7th Mechanical Equipment Co. A.I.F:
"We landed in Wewak, in June 1945, after waiting at Langemak Bay near Finschafen for three days until the ground. We were fully equipped with brand new International earthmoving machinery, plus others of such. We improved the roads in the area, and building Cape Wom camp and and the refurbished the Boram Airfield."
On September 13, 1945 Imperial Japanese Army (IJA) 18th Army commander Lt General Hatazo Adachi, with an interpreter and three of his staff were flown aboard C-47 Dakota code RE from Hayfield Airfield to Wewak Airfield. Next, the Japanese were transported by jeep to Cape Womfor the official surrender ceremony that began at 10:00am at Cape Wom Airfield. At 10:15am Adachi signed the instrument of surrender and handed over his sword in the presence of 3,000 troops drawn from various units of the Australian Army 6th Division. Afterwards, he attended meetings with Australian Army staff to discuss arrangements related to the surrender.
Cape Wom Airfield (Wom Airfield)
Small prewar airfield site of the surrender ceremony September 13, 1945 includes Cape Wom Memorial Park
There is a two story bunker with a tower. Today, it is empty aside from graffiti and rubbish.
On the beach is a concrete gun emplacement. The sea has eroded much of it, and the gun above is missing. There is an ammunition locker area inside the emplacement, where one can see its 55 gallon drum and concrete construction.
Behind the memorial, there are several Japanese tunnels that interlock and interconnect different parts of the Cape. Some have collapsed or filled with sand. Others are still open and possible to crawl into.
Ki-61-II Tony Manufacture Number 379
Force landed at Cape Wom. Recovered from Cape Wom in 1973
Ki-48 Lily Manufacture Number 1398
Crashed upside down on Cape Wom
A-20G Havoc Serial Number 43-21622
Pilot Hamwey MIA January 20, 1945, 3 missing
|Discussion Forum||Daily Updates||Reviews||Museums||Interviews & Oral Histories|