4° 12' 0S Long 152° 7' 60E Karavia Bay borders Vulcan and Karavia (Keravia) to the west, Blanche Bay and Kokopo to the east and Simpson Harbor and Rabaul to the north. Some wartime references spell this location as "Keravia Bay". Also known as a "Outer Harbor" or "Outer Anchorage".
On January 23, 1942 the Japanese entered Karavia Bay and land at Karavia. Afterwards, occupied by the Japanese for the duration of the Pacific War. Karavia Bay was used as an anchorage for Japanese warships and merchant vessels and the shore area had docks, facilities, tunnels and camp areas. In the surrounding hills several Naval guns and anti-aircraft gun batteries were emplaced to defend the anchorage and airspace.
Allied missions against Keravia
June 11, 1943–June 14, 1944
During the night of February 18, 1944 five USN destroyers participated in the Battle of Karavia Bay, firing at gun batteries in the area and at 1:24am, torpedoes were fired through the center of the mine field across the entrance to Karavia Bay, in hopes of hitting shipping.
Occupied by the Japanese until September 1945 when Australian forces arrived at Rabaul to accept their surrender.
On October 22, 1956 Japanese salvage companies Okadigumi Salvage Co. and Nayo Boeki Kaisha are given permission to salvage wreckage in the Rabaul area.
Japanese Floating Crane (aka Singapore Crane)
Sunk along the southern shore of Karavia Bay
Naruto (Japanese Tanker No. 5301)
Partially sunk March 15, 1944 and raised October 13, 1945 towed to Simpson Harbor and later Singapore
Crashed or ditched into Karavia Bay
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
October 23, 2019