|Missing In Action (MIA)||Prisoners Of War (POW)||Unexploded Ordnance (UXO)|
|Chronology||Locations||Aircraft||Ships||Submit Info||How You Can Help||Donate|
Lat 2° 0' 0S Long 147° 25' 0E Los Negros Island is located to the east of Manus Island. Borders Hyane Harbor to the east. Borders Papitalai Harbor and Seeadler Harbor and Manus Island to the west. Known to the Japanese as "Hyane Island". Today located in Manus Province in Papua New Guinea (PNG).
American mission against Los Negros
On February 29, 1944 at 8:17am the first wave of the U. S. Army 1st Cavalry Division, 1st Brigade commanded by Brigadier General William C. Chase landed on the southern shore of Hyane Harbor at Jamandilai Point near Momote Airfield. The landing was proceeded by a naval bombardment and aerial support from only three B-24s and nine B-25s that managed to locate the target area due to bad weather. By 10:00am the Americans captured Momote Airfield. After dark, the Japanese counterattacked and encircled the Americans forcing them to fall back to the beachhead.
On March 1, 1944, four B-17 armed transports from the 54th Troop Carrier Wing, 375th Troop Carrier Squadron took off from Finschafen Airfield including B-17E "Spawn of Hell" 41-2662, B-17F "Super Snooper" 41-24420, B-17F "War Horse" 41-24548 and another B-17 made supply runs dropping weapons, ammunition, barbed wire and blood plasma to the troops, and strafing enemy positions.
On March 2, 1944 three armed transport B-17s made more air drops and supply runs including B-17E "Yankee Didd'ler" 41-2458, another B-17 and B-17F "Cap'n & The Kids" 41-24353 piloted by Captain A. J. Beck. Over the target, Beck was intercepted by four fighters, including a Ki-61 Tony.
On March 4, 1944 the remaining Japanese launched series of suicide charges against the Americans and are defeated.
Since Seeadler Harbor was an excellent anchorage, a huge US Naval base was established at Lombrum. This base was a staging area for future operations in New Guinea, and a portion of the Philippines Invasion fleet assembled in Adler Harbor, and staged through the Manus area. Thousands of buildings, shops and sheds were erected. Wharves were constructed in the harbor.
|Discussion Forum||Daily Updates||Reviews||Museums||Interviews & Oral Histories|