|Missing In Action (MIA)||Prisoners Of War (POW)||Unexploded Ordnance (UXO)|
|Chronology||Locations||Aircraft||Ships||Submit Info||How You Can Help||Donate|
AWM Sept 7, 1945
Frank Anderson 1971
Justin Taylan 2004
Mission Hill (Boy's Town) is a hill with an elevation of 90 meters to the south of Wiruri inland from Wewak Town (Wewak Point) and overlooks Wewak Airfield (Wiruri, Wewak Central).
In 1912 Catholic missionaries established their mission at this location and named the feature "Mission Hill".
After the Japanese landings on December 18, 1942 at Wewak to Wirui, this hill was occupied. During the Japanese Army occupation of Wewak, Mission Hill was the site of the 18th Army Headquarters at Wewak. The hill was emplaced with anti-aircraft gun batteries and positions.
By the middle of May 1945, the Australian Army approached the Wewak area. On May 10, 1945 after the Australian Army captured Wewak Town (Wewak Point) the 2/4th Infantry Battalion swung inland towards Wirui and Mission Hill (Wirui Mission) to clear the foothills of the the Prince Alexander Range. On May 15, 1945 Private Edward Kenna earned the Victoria Cross at Mission Hill.
Japanese War Memorial
The monument has inscriptions in Japanese and English. The memorial reads in English: "In memory of the brave soldiers who paid the supreme sacrifice for their countries Japan, Australia American and New Guinea during World War 2 From 1941-1945. We sincerely hope that or men will never again engage in war but that a deep spirit of friendship may exist between all"
Type 88 (1928) 75mm AA Gun Battery
and War Debris
There was a large amount of wartime debris scattered around Mission Hill. Much was left where it was abandoned, or pushed over the sides of the hill. (Australian and Japanese) Trucks, 55 gallon drums, tankers and motorcycle bits are located amongst more modern piles of rubbish and tin cans.
|Discussion Forum||Daily Updates||Reviews||Museums||Interviews & Oral Histories|