|Missing In Action (MIA)||Prisoners Of War (POW)||Unexploded Ordnance (UXO)|
|Chronology||Locations||Aircraft||Ships||Submit Info||How You Can Help||Donate|
38th BG January 8, 1944
AWM May 21, 1944
Justin Taylan 2003
Lat 4° 30' 0S Long 145° 25' 0E Ulingan is located on the north coast of New Guinea. Connected by the North Coast Road to Madang to the south and Hansa Bay to the north. To the west is Meiwok (Mawok). Also known as "Uligan" or "Ulingen" Borders Uligan Harbor (Uligan Harbor, Ulingen Harbor). Allied wartime spellings "Ulingan" used by Australians or "Ulingen" used by U. S. Navy. Prewar and during the Pacific War located in the Territory of New Guinea. Today located in Madang Province in Papua New Guinea (PNG).
Known as Uligan Mission Township. At this location was established the Uligan Catholic mission. The area was planted with coconut plantations harvesting copra that were collected and exported from Uligan Harbor.
In January 1943 Ulingan was occupied by the Japanese Army causing the local population to flee inland. Ulingan village was developed into a depot area with anti-aircraft guns emplaced to defend the area.
During 1943 until early 1944, the Japanese used the North Coast Road northward from Hansa Bay via Uligan then southward to Madang for transporting supplies. Also, Uligan Harbor was used by Japanese barges moving along the north coast or as a location to hide them during daylight hours.
Between early April 1943 until late May 1944 the Ulingan area was the target of Allied aerial attacks and shore 834bombardments by naval vessels. Between January 1944 to March 1944, several Allied aircraft crashed at this location.
Allied mission against Ulingan
April 10, 1943–May 21, 1944
During late May 1944, the Ulingan area was liberated by Australian Army soldiers. In June 1944, RAN corvette personnel found a submerged Japanese barge in Ulingan Harbor with a 37mm Anti-Tank Gun Type 94 aboard and salvaged it as a war prize to later present to the citizens of Bundaberg.
Ulingan remains a small village. The adjacent bay is popular for surfing developed by the Surfing Association of Papua New Guinea (SAPNG) and the Tupira Surf Club.
Constructed during 2002, this simple memorial is written and Japanese. One side says in Tok Pidgin: "Mi Sori No Gat Moa Pait".
B-25G Mitchell Serial Number 42-64766
Pilot Braun crashed January 8, 1944, 6 missing crashed on land at the northern end of Uligan Harbor.
B-25G Mitchell Serial Number 42-64827
Pilot Freek crashed January 16, 1944 located 1946 remains recovered crashed into a plantation near Aber.
P-40N Kittyhawk Serial Number A29-537
Pilot Weber crashed March 3, 1944, remains recovered crashed on land into a gun emplacement.
P-39Q Airacobra Serial Number 42-19939
Pilot Diffenderffer crashed April 9, 1944 two miles out to sea off Ulingan Harbor, 1 missing
The National "Tupira, wonderful cultural" May 12, 2017
|Discussion Forum||Daily Updates||Reviews||Museums||Interviews & Oral Histories|