Yule Island is located off the southern coast of New Guinea, roughly 70 miles northwest of Port Moresby. Borders Hall Sound to the southeast and the Gulf of Papua to the west. Also spelled "Yuli Island" in some sources. Today located in Kairuku District, Central Province, Papua New Guinea (PNG).
During 1942, there was a Australian Army Air Warning Wireless Company 'Spotter Station' established at Yule Island, manned by Norm Miskell.
In May 1944, the Australian Army stationed the 1st Marine Food Supply Platoon on Yule Island, tasked with fishing and purchasing food from natives. This garrison was supplied by motor vessel
from Port Moresby, and food was returned.
Located at the southern end of the island. Prewar French Catholic mission. Former French WW1 ace Leon Bourjade who was credited with 28 aerial victories (27 balloons and 1 aircraft) served as a missionary on Yule. He died there on October 22, 1924 while serving as a missionary. Who's How: Leon Burjade | Leon Burjade. Reportedly, he was buried on the island.
Norbert "Norb" Ruff mentions in Ruff Stauff:
"The French Ace of WWI was Borqua (sic). He became a missionary and was sent to New Guinea to this location and died a few years later of malaria. Whenever the French Fleet was in the area, they would put a wreath on his grave. Nick Patrick, our Flight Surgeon supposedly found his grave."
During 1944, ANGAU and the Royal Papuan Constabulary operated an office and trade store at the mission.
Village located at the center of the island on the eastern coast.
Village located at the center of the island on the western coast.
Wartime landing ground
B-25D "Bird Dog" Serial Number 41-29724
Pilot X ditched November 29, 1942 in shallow water off Yule Island
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
June 15, 2019