|Missing In Action (MIA)||Prisoners Of War (POW)||Unexploded Ordnance (UXO)|
|Chronology||Locations||Aircraft||Ships||Submit Info||How You Can Help||Donate|
IJA February 15, 1942
National Archives of Singapore 2006
Former Ford Factory
351 Upper Bukit Timah Road
Built during 1941 by the Ford Motor Company of Malaya as an art-deco style building and opened in October 1941 as the first Ford motor vehicle assembly plant in Southeast Asia. Also known as the Ford Works Building or Ford Motor Factory.
On December 8, 1941 at the start of the Pacific War, the factory was taken over by the Royal Air Force (RAF) to assemble crated fighter aircraft until the Japanese landing on Singapore and captured by the Japanese Army. On February 15, 1942 at this location, the British Army under Lieutenant General Arthur Percival surrendered to Lieutenant General Tomoyuki Yamashita. During the Japanese occupation of Singapore, used by Nissan and used to assemble motor vehicles and trucks for the military between 1942-1945. After the surrender of Japan, the factory was returned to Ford.
In 1947, Ford reopened the factory building cars, engine parts and tires until it closed in June 1980.
On February 7, 2006, the building became a national monument and was converted into an exhibition gallery and archive known as Former Ford Factory.
Singapore - Former Ford Factory (photo)
Visit Singapore - Former Ford Factory (photo)
Google Maps - Former Ford Factory (photos)
|Discussion Forum||Daily Updates||Reviews||Museums||Interviews & Oral Histories|