|Missing In Action (MIA)||Prisoners Of War (POW)||Unexploded Ordnance (UXO)|
|Chronology||Locations||Aircraft||Ships||Submit Info||How You Can Help||Donate|
USMC October 24, 1942
US Army January 8, 1943
US Army January 17, 1943
Peter Flahavin 2004
Justin Taylan 2006
Lat 9° 25' 60S Long 159° 58' 0E Matanikau village is located at the mouth of the Matanikau River on the north coast of Guadalcanal in the Solomon Islands. Also known as Matanikao. Today, the area has expanded into a larger settlement and includes Chinatown to the south.
The Matanikau River is a river that runs roughly south to north with the mouth on the north coast of Guadalcanal to the west of Honiara. During the battle of Guadalcanal, th the Matanikau River formed the western edge of the American perimeter for the early months of the battle.
The Matanikau Sandbar was located to the east of the mouth of the Matanikau River. On October 24, 1942 seven Japanese Army Type 97 Chi-Ha medium tanks from the 1st Independent Tank Regiment advanced eastward and were disabled by the Marines. Afterwards, the six tank hulls were demolished by the Marines to prevent them from being used as defensive positions by the Japanese. The seventh Type 97 Chi-Ha medium tank was partially submerged and remains in situ. The remains of the other tanks were buried in the sand or otherwise disappeared since the war.
On August 12, 1942 a U.S. Marine Corps (USMC) patrol led by Colonel Frank B. Goettge crossed to the west bank of the Matanikau River with a Japanese Prisoner Of War (POW) in hopes of accepting the surrender of Japanese were willing to surrender. Instead, the patrol was ambushed and killed.
|Discussion Forum||Daily Updates||Reviews||Museums||Interviews & Oral Histories|